new yards

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LHSlawnman86, Aug 14, 2004.

1. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i have been trying to get new yards for the last two years now and havnt had much luck. i was wandering what has worked the best. i have tried fliers, local paper, and some signs.

i need help

thanks

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Do you offer multi-home discounts ie: $5.00 off for the customer that you already have and $5.00 off for one of their neighbors if they sign up with you? I have 3 customers that got me three different houses this way. The max that I come down is $5.00

I would much rather have two lawns side by side at $60.00 for both then only have one at $35.00 and then drive 5 or 10 minutes to the next lawn for another 35 bucks.

I was driving down the highway on Wednsday and had a car pass me only to slow down so that the passanger could write my number down from the sign on my truck. The guy called my that night and he signed up weekly for the rest of the season and is only 3 1/2 miles from my house.

Magnetic signs can really help get some customers too.

3. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i never thought of multi home discounts
    and do you give that to both houses and how do u get that word out, fliers?

thanks

4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I give it to both the existing home and the new home. I just tell the existing customers about it when they sign up with me. They eat it up and it is like having a sales man working for you and not having to pay them. LOL

You can have it printed on your fliers or door knob hangers saying ( Multi-Home discounts available )

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Try advertising in community newsletters. They are cheap ($10-20 per month) and a lot more people read them then I ever thought.

What I did was, I drove around in January to various neighborhoods, looking for the pool clubhouses. If there were cars in the parking lot in the middle of winter, that was a good sign that people were inside. That's were these newsletters are run out of. I didn't think anyone looked at them, but apparently they do.

6. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if the cost of those discounts can be considered advertising, which is tax deductable?

7. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Get out there and go door to door. Talk to the potential customer. Let them know and see who you're. Many customers who talk to you will give you good feedback. I found 2 or 3 new customers one Saturday morning. The multi-home discount is a great idea. Thanks for the info. Will use this too.