New Years Resolution: No Manual Labour For Me in 06 !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Leroy's Lawns, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leroy's Lawns

Leroy's Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have a five day mowing route, scheduled Mon-Fri. with Sat. being for catch ups. Last season I was still doing the grunt work 2-3 days every week. This year I hope to cut that to zero with a couple more guys and another truck.

In reality probably be another year (or 2) before I'm really out of the field and running the show from behind a desk. Gonna get me a nice looking secretary too.

You gotta sell other people's time to make real bucks. You only got 24hrs a day of your own.

How many of you guys made it past the point of doing the monkey work to being a real Boss ?

2. I'm just a little minnow in a big pond, but you sound like your duh man and have it figured out-----------not.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Rod can answer this one, he got this all figured out. Where are ya Rod :)

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I guess this will be another thread for bashing young men in business. You guys should really be trying to mentor and encourage us instead of coming down on us. :realmad:

5. Leroy's Lawns

Leroy's Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NY

Just about.

Should be able to run the company w/out doing any manual labour this year or next.:blob4:

Not bad considering my dad broke his back his entire life and ended up with not much more than a worn out body at the end.

Jpocket, don't let the old guys knock you down...they're mostly a bitter, resentful bunch. I've got lots of senior customers like that.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Let's nip this in the bud ok? Comments like these aren't going to be tolerated, this is nothing more than a poor attempt to get the crowd going. Want to discuss this topic? Fine, but leave out the insults.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I stepped away from the manual labor back in 2003 for about 1 1/2 months, I had to come back though because I missed it too much

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Employees are the hardest part of your plan. It may take a while to find the right guys to run the show the way you want. Just remember that when you get the other truck up and ready you will have 0 jobs for it to do. It will take a while to fill it's route. Make sure you have the financial backing to carry it for a while. Always keep yourself ready to jump in if needed (and you will be).
    I just had a bad year with one of my rigs and in the end dropped a whole route and truck. Combo of bad employees and bad management (not enough time to oversee) It can be done and is worth it in the end but the road will have a few bumps.
    Good luck
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm just a little minnow in a big pond, but you sound like your duh man and have it figured out-----------not.

Jpocket, don't let the old guys knock you down...they're mostly a bitter, resentful bunch. I've got lots of senior customers like that.

What was all this about. Lets all try to be nice:)

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

JPocket...your ok.

Leroy...you have a lot to learn, and unfortunately you will learn it the hard way. What you don't understand is that adding people and sitting on your butt makes lots of new overhead. You know what the number one reason for bankruptsy in this biz is? To much overhead and not enough cash flow management.

10. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahhh if were only that easy. Lock up a few accounts and sit around watch T.V all day and let others do the work. Remember your time is worth money, sitting in an office will indirectly make money for the buisness, it will take a good amount of work and good employess to the point where time is best used in the office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.