New Yearsday Eve Plowing.

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Dec 26, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Well we got of easy for the x-mas storm, just a little sanding.

However big east coast storm seams to be brewing. Starting mid afternoon Saturday, till sometime Sunday. If it is 12" or more we won't be done till Monday at the earliest.

Geoff

2. Alan

Alan Member

I haven't seen any details about that one yet, but I can hope it comes this way. We're ready to play again, only thing I should do is get my truck checked out, battery voltage is falling off a bit too much for comfort, acts like the internal regulator is going west.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Weather Channel is saying this could be a major winter storm.
    We will see.

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Our local NWS office (Mt. Holly) has actually issued a Special Weather Statement for the potential storm. I can't remember seeing a statement so far in advance of an event, they're usually in the 24 - 48 hour period and then closer to the event they dissapear or change to advisorieswarnings. Every radio station & TV news cast has jumped on this one. I can't believe with how bad the forecasting has been so far this season that so many weather sources (every last one that I've seen or heard) are going for this one in a big way. I am hoping that means this one is for real.

5. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Geoff,

This one could be our first real event of the season.
    The other 2 generated some work but haven't had the chance to due my whole route(drives & walks) as yet. I dropped the plow to push some slush at a few of my customers, but no real white stuff as yet. I can see a big difference here between the commercial & res. as far as the way they need to be serviced. If these 2 fronts meet up & hit us at the same time, we could get hammered. My wife is freakin becuase we are expecting around 35-40 people for New Years.
    Let's see what happens........I'll take it whenever!!!

Mark

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Alan,my voltage was a hair low on the 89 last storm,noticed it when i filled the v-box,I always leave it running,when i hopped back in,it was pn 13-usually on 14,or a hair over,20 minutes later it went out,doing firsrt account of storm.

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Goeff looks like a sunday storm up our way, if it stays the same size or intensifies the local weather siad 6" to 12" or more. Looks like another 20hour day!

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

2 things
    The last time I have seen a storm hyped this far in advance was the blizzard of 93 that lasted from March 10-13 and dumped snow from Georgia to Maine. The blizzard of 96 was hyped at about 3-4 days out, but I saw on TWC inclinations last saturday. FWIW, they forcasted the ice storm that the south is getting last weekend, and they have been right on the money. Read the forcast models from http://www.millenniumweather.com . as of last night at 11 pm they all were forcasting at least a moderate snow storm for SE NE. Anyway time will tell, but we are due.
    2cd
    My truck has been hard starting the last few days, at first chalked it up to the cold weather, but even when warm it was still turning slow. Load tested the batts this am. One was in the weak zone, and the other borderline. Now these are 3 yo and do get worked pretty hard. Plow and electric sander. But I was surprised that GM only installed 600cca batteries in a diesel. They have been replaced with 920 cca units. Truck winds right over now. It would have been a very bad thing to have go south during a storm.
    So keep an eye on those batts.
    Dino

9. have seen some of my worst storms on new years eve looks like all forecaster see good one for lake regions mich. ohio pa. Well tell the wife stay at home could be a long one. Happy new year. jammin

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I much prefer weekend and holiday snow, commercial lots are empty, homeowners arent needing to get anywhere in a hurry so I can pretty much clean up at my leisure.