new yellow grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i was wondering why what new grass is lacking that makes it give off a yellow tint? i applied fertilizer with plenty of nitrogen to a new area and it still looks the same. is it just becoming established, and this is how it looks until it is fully growing in about a year? or is it lacking something? i also noticed in the same neighborhood (newer development, poor soil) that many of lawns are looking the same too. it isn't rust, but looks like the grass is lacking something.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Rust? This is very common in first year grasses.

3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Hope you didn't end up with a bumper crop of poa.....

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed. A lot of rust on the new seeding this season.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll amend my last statement....A lot of rust on new seeding in nutrient deficient soil.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Soil pH in the toilet? You can fertilize all day long and not accomplish anything with acid soil. Get it tested.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a new construction property like that. The starter fert did ok then went south. The soil sample recommends 20 per 1000 of N. It also has a VERY low organic content.
    Part of the answer would be topdressing but, that's out of the question because the budget is tight.

8. Very well could be the problem!!!

How can you treat a lawn, without a soil test from a professional lab.

The soil chemistry must be right