New York City guys I need help

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 35DollarLawns, Feb 4, 2014.

1. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a opportunity to help a friend out by taking over his company and I have visited him, and his company is on the level, but I still need major help as I am, and will be lost for years it seems as to finding my way around a new area as large as NYC , let a lot all the laws I will have to follow compaired to Tennessee, I don't know where a courthouse is there. He has a lot of push mower crews and all equipment needs replaced soon and as our agreement I had to agree to keep every employee he has for 6 years . This deal cost me the money for a families flight first class to Hawaii, so a chance I will take . I just want to prevent a lost year in learning the ropes. Anyones opinion or question is appreciated and will be addressed thanks guys. I have from now until sprung to work it all out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 35DollarLawns

The actual areas of his customers are mainly Whitestone and covers a area including Malba, College point, Flushing, Bayside, Douglaston and that surrounding area.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 35DollarLawns

Do I need city permits in these areas to mow grass or just a state lic. I am kind of needing to know the type questions to ask to be sure I remind them in their office.

His company subs all work besides mowing and general maintenance but they do small tree cutting ,to restore the shape of the tree. So I won't need the regular licenses like they will .
    Anyone have ideas?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey 35 dollar lawns what is the name of the company you taking over.:waving:

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

You need a business livense at a minimum, not sure about those exact areas. Each county in ny reauires a license though.

Just know that the cost of living and materials etc is insane. Tons of people came here after hurricane sandy thinking it was a gold rush only to go bak home broke. Why is he selling

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

you can PM me if you like… Used to run a pretty big lawn business that encompassed Southern CT, white plains, westchester etc.

My first suggestion is to get some GPS/routing software.

Clip, operasoft to name a few would be right up your alley.

Show you in a heart beat where all the clients were, and route them as to which ones go together so you aren't ping ponging across the boroughs like a mad man.

What "gold rush" was causes by hurricane sandy?

Tree work?

The entire tree work industry does that whenever there is a storm… if you're big into tree work about 75% of your competition packs up and leaves town the second there is a big storm…
    The tree business by nature is easily mobile.

Chip truck, chipper, boxes full of rigging and saws. maybe a send truck to chase you that has the lift boom, but not necessary if you got Jaques the monkeyman for a climber.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Trees came first, then the guys like serv pro doing cleanouts etc. then every guy with a hammer became a remodeler, every guy with a shovel was landscaping. It was nuts

8. 35DollarLawns

I agreed with the owner to not disclose the name of it because he is my wife's family .
    I won't be messing up this deal , I never expected this deal so I am following his rules.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 35DollarLawns

Does each county up their have an office for the licenses or is it in one place?
    I am comfortable with the move, the work, the management I just want to be in a place to not need a driver to go to find clients , or a cabby to find different things IE:
    Walmart here....... What there? That is why I am lost. I don't want to be so lost I have to stay in the office.

He is selling because he had major heart issues . He contacted my wifes mother and told her he was done.
    The health issues broke him essentially ,
    He has a lot of 21" mower crews and had made plans to buy 30" walks this year when it hit him last year the company finished the year out employee managed if you will, he spent this winter getting his clients onboard with him passing it to " family owned and opperated selling them as if he just retires .
    My mission with it is to lead out the door with my experiances for down south so when I arrive I feel like I am from that area.

I currently memorizing road maps, city maps ect. Coupled with my wife being from the area as a child I have been talking a lot with her friends.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 35DollarLawns

I feel this may be why he told me to sub it out for other work.
    Also until just now I had forgot SANDY this may or had helped him, or maybe it did help him with a easy way out.
    Never know . He just said it as he won't live forever and it's time he and his familyove to Hawaii .
    Posted via Mobile Device