new young guy in town

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by meathead1134, Mar 31, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

:D
    Good afternoon all!! I happy to say that I have finally started my own business me being 24. Been wanting to start it since junior year in high school when I had a small business class. Hopefully I can do well enough so I can get out of the corporate world and be my own boss. Here are the things I have so far. I'm trying to keep my over head extremely low. I don't want to be in debt.

1. An old snowmobile trailer thats all steel. So my best friend and I can weld and customize it to my needs.

2. draw-tite hitch for my Hyundai (yeah I know it will look funny)
    3. rakes and shovels edger
    4. wheel barrow
    5. several push mowers
    6. a craftsman tractor (in the works)
    7. most important of all several customers

I will be doing spring clean ups, mulching and mowing

Glad to be here,this is a great site
    Ken

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a troll at work here. But if you are for real you will be looking for some commercial grade equipment and a decent tow vehicle soon. That or you will be out of business.

3. firedog2710

firedog2710 LawnSite Member

give the poor guy a break. he's just starting out. some people are not as lucky as we are.:drinkup:

4. firedog2710

firedog2710 LawnSite Member

what i meant by that last post is, some people are not as lucky as we are and can start out with brand new or slightly used equipment.:drinkup:

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

6. a craftsman tractor (in the works)

If i am going into the printing business commercially do you think i would buy a 10 page per minute home use type with a lifespan of 10000 copies.

Scrubs are the nimwits who dont research scrap before jumping in.

6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman? dude you need to do a lot more research, don't quit your regular job

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Ken,

Sam Walton once had a tiny little 5 and dime store. Thanks to Sam for never giving up. His company made $256.3 billion last year.

8. codywyomingus

codywyomingus LawnSite Member

I started 9 years ago,with a 89 mercury topaz car, which I placed my 22 inch crapsman pushmower in the trunk!! Now I've got a 2001 dodge ram 1500 & a 16ft trailer & a 36 & 48 walk behind, etc. Put your mind to succeeding & you will!! Do the best job you can & the rest will come!!

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Welcome to the site! A lot of us have had humble begginnings and come along way...so just stick with it!

10. CBus

CBus LawnSite Member

Hey, what's happenin'? I'm just startin' out in the biz, too. A word of advice: unless you're starting out with a Toro Z590 and a 2004 Ford F-750, some people here will think you're a scrub, will do shoddy work, and are trying to gather "trade secrets".