New Z owner

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Cuttin Phatties, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Cuttin Phatties

Cuttin Phatties LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Hello, just checking out the forum and I have a couple questions. I have 3 acres and just bought a Mini Z 19/52. It is a '04, but has only 60 hrs on it. The mower was used on a 2 acre residential lot, and looks new other than the deck. The paint is peeling along the top edges of the deck where it is welded. I am very pleased with the build and drivetrain on this mower. It is very smooth and I was surprised to see that the 19hp kawi was enough for the 52" deck. I so far am giving the cut of this mower a B because it is leaving a strip between the right and middle blade. I am mowing at half speed because my yard is a little bumpy and it still leaves a strip. The original owner gave me a new set of blades he bought and I changed out the originals. The blades where a little wider but the hole was the same and they bolted up, I dont know if this is the culprit or what, I did not mow with the originals. I have read a little on this forum and hear a lot of talk about checking belt tension. Seems Hustler had a problem with the bigger newer decks and had to add a kit, do they make kits for the Mini? I am also looking at the suspension options, seat and forks. I would like to buy just one, which would provide the best ride by itself? Mower has the rubber striping kit and does well even with my not so weedless yard. Any oppinion or ideas on how to fix the problem areas of my new mower is appreciated. I was thinking of taking the deck off this winter and painting it, as for the cut????????

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

First thing you need to do is get the right blades on the deck.
    You can get the Fusion blades that come on them now, back in 2004 they didnt.
    You can also enlarge the discharge opening like the new units.
    E-mail me for this information.
    As far as the paint goes, I would do what your thinking, prep and repaint the areas needed.
    There are no kits for the 52" decks, what your reading about is for the XR-7 decks, which you do not have.

Pj

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

When you say half speed I hope you do not mean half throttle, the hydraulics are meant to slow your cutting speed not the throttle.

4. Cuttin Phatties

from NW Ohio

You mean there is a throttle on this mower? :hammerhead: j/k Yes I was mowing at full throttle, but only going half the speed of the mowers maximum. I am gonna order some blades, and check the belt tension, and if that dosnt fix it, Im gonna open up the deck.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to open up that deck, that will make a huge difference very quickly that and the Fusion blades.

6. puppypaws

I mowed with 60" Super Z's for years before the decks were opened up for a wider discharge area and it never left any grass uncut. No more than you are mowing I would try the proper blades first because opening the discharge wider will not solve a missed cut strip of grass being left.

With the proper blades, good belt adjustment and correct operating rpm's there should be NO grass left uncut with your particular deck.

I am glad you have knowledge of the throttle because you would be surprised at the number of people who try to slow their cutting speed by lowering the throttle setting and then wondering why "it just want cut like I thought it should".

When you open the discharge area of the deck it allows for easier dispersal of grass from underneath the deck. This is helpful where you are trying to cut at a fast speed in wet or very thick plush grass. I personally cut at 15 mph a great deal of the time so my mower needs to get the grass out and away from the deck as fast as possible. You want have that problem because you will be mowing much slower.

7. Cuttin Phatties

from NW Ohio

Just wanted to let you all know that PJ was right on with his suggestions. I cut out the deck opening, and put on a new set of fusions and it cuts 100x better. The uncut strip is pretty much gone, ( a little piece here and there) and the clumping is also a thing of the past. I just hope these blades hold up at $50 a set. I also put on the flex forks, not sure this is worth the $200 as I didnt notice a huge difference. I think the suspension seat for another $150 would have been the better choice. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to PJ for setting me up.

8. puppypaws

The fusion blades are worth the money. I can run them 40+ hrs. before sharpening and they are still cutting good at that point and I cut at a lower height than most, (2.75") before dark I can see the sparks coming out of the discharge opening where it is picking up small gravel.

If you can't tell that much difference in the flex forks you are cutting very smooth ground. I just got off my mower when it got so dark I could not track myself and I was running as fast as it would run. I cut wide open a big part of the time and the flex forks make all the difference in the world. There are places with the standard forks I would have to pull back because it was to rough, now I mow through the same areas full speed.

When you say you can't tell that much difference in the flex forks over the regular you are saying to me what you are mowing is not rough enough to really need them because there is a big difference.

My suspension seat with the flex seat base and the flex forks make the entire package which I feel assured rides as good as any mower on the market. When you are cutting at 15 mph you can find out real quick how one rides, there are not many mowers you could stay in the seat at that speed much less get a good cut.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No problem.
    Keep those Fusions out of the rocks and you will be fine, the 50 bucks is well worth it for the extended life you will get out of them.
    Run the Flex Forks for a few weeks..... then go back to your stock forks and you will see a huge difference.

Pj

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Preach it brother !!!!
    They are listening !!!