1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Zero Turn - Which One?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rcav8er, Oct 21, 2002.

1. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

:dizzy: Hi Guy's , Please pardon the questions of a newbe, but I'm in the market for a new Zero Turn as I'm just getting started. I have just signed some larger accounts (4 acres +) and I'm in need of a upgrade. I have looked at the Toro 44" compact and I'm going to look at the Lesco 48" or possible larger. My question is reliability and overall reputation of these two mowers? I can't go to large with the deck as the majority of my accounts are small residential (less than 1 acre). Is anyone mulching or is that even an option with this type mower?
    Thanks in advance, this site has allready been a great help !
  2. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

I just went through the same thing buying my first ZTM. I did some searches can came up with this, some cuss at one brand that another loves but in the end that all love commercial mowers. I went looking around at several brands eXmark, Toro, John Deere, Great Dane, Grasshopper and Gravely. I bought a Gravely because they are close to me 6 miles, they only sale Gravely. They have been in business a long time, have excellent mechanics and a large parts department plus I got a very good price. If something is wrong with it they will come to my house pick it up fix it and bring it back. Gravely is not the popular brand on this forum but several are around. Do some searches on this forum about the mowers you are looking at and you should come up with a lot of info about how users like them and problems they have had.

Look for:

Dependable reputation
    Fair price

Buy the mower you are comfortable with and you like. I’m not sure about dealers in Gastonia didn’t look there but you have Green line on NC27 just east of Lincolnton The have JD and something else, Bobcats ? There is a Hustler dealer over around Rutherfordton and you should be able to find just about anything else in Charlotte.

3. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

Thanks Kelly, I worked for Gravley many years ago and had a chance to work with the Product Testing. If there equipment is anything like it was 25 years ago it's hard to beat. The only reason I'm looking at Toro and Lesco is as you said there close by and accessable. I just don't want to make a uninformed purchase and end up with something thats going to more trouble than help.
    Thanks Again,
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Is there another Lesco that is closer to us than the one in Winston Salem??? You say it's close to you being in Gastonia. Which one?
  5. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

Yea, theres one in Charlotte at 1501 Industrial Center Circle.
    Take 85 to Sugar Creek to North Tryon and Rt. on Old Concord Rd.
    Check Lesco on the Net and do a store search for Charlotte it will give you directions and a map. Very helpful group of guy's at this location:)
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, I'll map it out and see if that one is closer to me. I bet it is. I live up HWY 321 north of I-40.
  7. Mowwithhustler's

Mowwithhustler's LawnSite Member
    from 28465

i live in maiden and the best mowers are hustlers to me my dad has 2 shortcut 1500s 48 inch cust and a 54 inch cut rear discharge but they quite making the shorcut casue they came out witha new zero turn and there really isnt no where around to get hustler they have a place in kernersvill he has one 48 inch hustler shortcut 1500 left he woants 5200 dollars for it thats a good deal but exmark is the best selling mower on teh market they are fast reliabel and easy to use
  8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark 52" HP its the best money i have ever spent. Take a good look at them before you buy.
  9. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

Yes, by all means go look at the Ex-Mark, Then if you want 2 buy 1, Purchase a TORO, as it's the same machine, just $2,000 LESS.
  10. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

I've noticed allot of the guy's on this site run Exmark's and seem to have very good luck with them. I looked at Exmark's site tonight but there does not seem to be a dealer anywhere in my area of NC. Does anyone know of a Exmark dealer in NC or SC, preferably close to Charlotte?
    I looked at the Bobcat 52" with a Kaw. 23 today but was concerned about the nonlubed spindals. The Lesco Z2 54" still seems to be the best deal in the Charlotte area at $5700.
    Has anyone run the Lesco Z2 and what did you think?:confused: