new ztr add-on post

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snoopy1028, Jul 25, 2004.

1. snoopy1028

snoopy1028 LawnSite Member

I can get great deals on 2 lines- Ferris and Snapper-best friends owns a few shops in FL. (probably cost)

Toro- high price HERE, is it worth it?
    Ferris-Is 10 gauge a HUGE weakness?
    Exmark-HIGH $$- Being residential, do I need it? Worth it?
    Gravely-New to this area, no history for me.
    Kubota-diesel, love it, maybe overkill at 9500
    Snapper-How good is their commercial unit? LOOKS GOOD
    Hustler- Will look, haven't yet-this group likes it from what I read.
    CC-no dealer here

1) Kawasaki or Kohler?
    2) Joystick or twin stick? Snapper 61 is kohler/joystick or kawasaki/twin stick

Thinking I can get parts at cost as well- I am leaning on the snapper 61". Any reason not to?

Any opinions will greatly be appreciated. Thanks a million for replies. I dont want to shoot myself in the foot because I can buy a particular brand at cost if another brand is THAT much better. Money is NOT the biggest issue. Thanks again...

james@1touchwireless.net

2. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

I have been researching ZTR's for about a month for use on my own yard and just bought an Exmark Lazer Z 60". The machine and cut quality is excellent!

Bob

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

The Toro 04 MODEL 500 Series are worth the bucks, these are the models with the new turbo force deck 7 guage, definetly worth a look, got some very nifty features.

I've got the Z588E model...faultless.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

In my experience, (with John Deere, Snapper, Toro, and Gravely) there isn't such a huge difference in quality of cut or workmanship. Each one has its issues. You have to figure out which things are good and bad for you.

The biggest difference between the mowers has nothing to do with them, but rather the owner and how they treat and take care of them.

Having said all that I bought a 60" Gravely rider, PM260. I like it. If I had opted for a 52" it would definately have been a stander Probably a Wright.

5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Snoopy1028,
    I picked up the Snapper Fastback Pro about 6 weeks ago. Love it, it's the 52" cut, 21hp Kaw. twin stick. Cuts like mad and stripes very well without a kit. I demo'd a bunch of Z's but I kept going back to the Snapper. I would recommend it to anyone, personally I think it's as good as the Exmark, Hustler, Deere, and better then others I demo'd, but that my personal opinion.

Don't think you'll be disappointed with it at all.

Buck

equipment31.gif

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Love your truck!

Wish we working class folk over here could own em....I'm envious! :)

Which is the Snapper?

(never seen one)

7. Up North

from MN

Tonyr, thanks mate!

The Snapper is on the far left with my oldest son on it, I've got some close up pics of it but have to develop the film yet. The trim mower is a Toro and trimmer is an Echo, didn't have the Echo backpack blower in the pic. (But my son HAD to have his wheelbarrow in it).

From reading previous posts I know you (Tonyr) are a big Toro guy, and by the looks of some of your work I see why. That Toro does a great job, I didn't get a chance to demo one.

Buck

8. snoopy1028

how to stripe without a kit?

thanks for all the posts! (and thanx for the snapper rating)

9. snoopy1028

how much was the toro Tony? (roughly) I will have to pay full retail here, as there is only 1 dealer. I like them, but know i am gonna get popped.

10. Up North

from MN

Snoopy1028,
    Stripes can be accomplished by the pitch of your deck. Front of deck lower then back of deck. However, in my part of the country Kentucky Bluegrass is the norm, and from what I understand it is the easiest grass to stripe. (some say you can sneeze and it'll stripe) I assume some parts of the country need a stripe kit, Georgia may be one of them due to the grass type.