New ZTR Advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by scott6336, Aug 16, 2004.

1. scott6336

scott6336 LawnSite Member

Just bought a house with a big jump in lawn size. New home has 10.5 acres of St. Augustine grass but all flat and a few trees, so I am considering a ZTR. Time is an issue for me. Trying to judge how much tractor I need to get this done in a reasonable amount of time (3 hours too optimistic?). Have a good Toro/Exmark dealer in town and a decent John Deere/Gravely dealer w/in 30 minutes of home. Would consider prices up to near $10,000...any ideas on equipment? Thanks.

2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we have had good luck with scag.

3. rander

rander LawnSite Member

There are a number of good brands available. I think eXmark is one of, if not, the best. I've been using an eXmark for over ten years and have had excellent service from the equipment. They're built like a tank, especially the decks and cut excellently. The dealers do a pretty good job. Like any other good equipment, maintainence is the key to good performance and longevity. It's got over 3000 hours on it. For the first 3 years I used it to cut about 10 acres of Bahia lawn and horse training arenas. For the past seven years have cut about 5 acres of lawn regularly.

Rander

4. scott6336

scott6336 LawnSite Member

Rander--What size deck and how long did it take to mow the 10 acres? Thanks

5. rander

rander LawnSite Member

Scott336;

It is a 52" deck with a 20 hp Kohler engine. It took about 5 to 6 hours to cut it but about half of the area was cut up in small areas and involved cutting around a lot of fences, a barn lot and odd corners. That time was about half what it took to cut it with a 48" snapper rider or a lawn tractor. The big difference was the eXmark ZTR was so much more manuverable and faster on the straight away.

Rander

6. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

After much research I also bought an Exmark Lazer Z. I got the 27HP 60" deck to cut about 3 1/2 acres of grass. I get it done in about 90 minutes, and thats with laying down some nice diagonal stripes in the front lawn. The Exmark does a great job. I would recommend you get the 72" deck for your 10 acres. I think you could cut it under 3 hours with a 72" deck. You could get one for under 10 grand.