New ZTR feels sluggish on left side? Ferris.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jbarreca, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Jbarreca

Jbarreca LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a brand new Ferris 1500z (thanks to everyone on here for steering me towards it), has literally a couple hours on it....I have no other ZTR experience...my left side feels a bit sluggish or underpowered, am I crazy? I thought the mower felt like it was always pulling to the left....like I was pushing the left bar full forward but not the right....if they're both full forward the mower pushes to the left for sure, I tried it on grass and pavement. It feels like reverse is sluggish on the left also. Is this normal? It's not like it takes a 90 degree turn to the left or anything but the right side is certainly got more power. Is this worth a call or trip to my dealer or is it normal for the hydros to not be matched? I'm assuming more pressure on the right?

2. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Within reason, I dont think I have ever been on a Z that drove straight with the lever both forward all the way , you have to make up for it yourself.

Regardless, I would get it back asap for a ckeckup. Could just be the dump valve is loose, this is for moving the machine wile not running, not familiar with your machine so i cant give you advice on this.

3. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Check in your owners manual too, you can adjust the tracking. On my ferris, you can adjust the screws in front of the handles right at the bottom. Check the owners manual or your dealer if you need help.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

+1 on adjusting your tracking!

5. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem on a used Gravely i bought. I was just looking through the manual and will probably try to adjust this weekend.

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

There are valves you open to be able to push your mower. Make sure they are closed. This will cause pressure to blead off and cause slugishness.

7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Typically if one side fells sluggish in forward then the reverse should be stronger than the other side and vice versa. I too would say a dump valve, if not then take it in, something is either interrupting flow or a pump is bad.