new ztr help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ByTheYard, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ByTheYard

ByTheYard LawnSite Member
    from GA

my company just got a very large job that we will be cutting next spring/summer. we plan to buy a new ztr by next spring but arent sure what brand or what kind to get. we rented a walker mower for leaf pick up this past fall and really liked the performance of it but it would be too small and too slow for our new job we got yet would do really well with residential yards that required the grass to be picked up. we already have a Toro ztr with a 60" deck and would like to have something else similiar to that in a new mower but would like to have the luxury of the catcher. anyone have any ideas on some good ztrs with these specs?

2. MEDIC470

MEDIC470 LawnSite Member

We have four ZTR's in service, two toros and two exmarks with baggers on them, they both work very well. We also found that after we sweep in the spring, all we have to do is mow with the ex's and they pick everything up.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Looking at a gas or diesel powered ZTR?

4. ByTheYard

from GA

gas with about 20 somthin hp probably

5. jtkplc

What about deck size, you mentioned 60" in your original post? Mid to upper 20 HP (23+)?

6. ByTheYard

from GA

yea around 60" probably a 60" or 61" the ztr we have is a toro z master not sure what hp but probably mid 20s. we also have a country clipper jazee with a catcher on it but it is only a 48" deck and when the catcher is on the mower it gets caught on the tailgate of our trailer and cant get on the trailer. it also get clogged in the chute all the time. so we were trying to compromise by getting a ztr that is as big as the toro we already have but has a catcher for our yards that we need to collect on because right now we are using push mowers to bag it and it takes to long and it doesnt seem like we make much money off of the yard.

7. jtkplc

Is your Z Master underpowered? Is having an underpowered machine a concern for you at all?

8. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

Scag is a great mower for the big jobs.

9. ByTheYard

from GA

no its got the amount of power we want. we're replacing the country clipper we have its a little underpowered for the job and is hard to get serviced sometimes

10. Green Edge

Green Edge LawnSite Member

If you are buying a new machine based on one large property i think that is a mistake, you never know what can happen with that contract come next year and then you are stuck with this huge machine that is nearly useless for the majority of your other work, im assuming you also do a lot of residential, so i say buy a machine such that is good for your all around work, I say Toro all the way, but I know Hustler has some fast ZTRs with the optional clam shell bagger that dumps from the seat.Its sweet.