New ZTR mower with Foot Brake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djagusch, Feb 8, 2012.

1. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Just looking at the Scag website. They came out with a 61" Freedom Z with some new features. One new feature is a foot brake (left foor). It acts as a brake and parking brake, no need to take the hands off the handles.

Guessing it's the same braking band set up seen on mowers with just a foot lever instead of hand lever.

For the guys saying they wanted brakes on a mower here's a start.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that's how the deere is. really you don't need brakes on a ztr. i never use mine for anything other than a parking brake. you can just stop pushing forwards on the handles to come to a stop or pull back on the handles to go in reverse.

3. djagusch

from MN

I know but research threads on brakes and some think it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I like the idea of brakes for going down steep hills (whether long or short) in tighter areas. Saves on wear to the hydros and integrated brakes. I have a couple places where I mow that are in just such a place, and not having to pull back on the sticks (which sometimes cause skid marks) to maintain control would be a real boon to me.

One thing I like about the Deere's brakes is that they are a wet disk type and last well. I use mine everytime I transport, and whenever I park it anywhere.

5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

If the brakes are not incorporated on the front caster similar to the Ted Brakes then they are worthless. Having brakes on the front of a ztr WILL save lives.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You must not have any steep hills around. A ZTR can quickly get away from you and pulling back on the handles just leaves skid marks all the way to the bottom.:usflag:

7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

yep, right into the lake. Make sure you have scuba gear on when you go over so you don't drown while pinned under the mower.

I think Jason mows flat lawns and doesn't even cut a lawn with a hill. If he did, he would understand the importance of actual brakes on the front and not just a parking brake.

8. djagusch

from MN

I just don't see how smooth front tires will grip anymore in that slide situation. I have seen ted's video but it doesn't ever show a out of control mower. Mostly on tar which is not as slick as a sandy hill.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Unless he has taken them down, Ted has a few videos on ETA's site in the video library section that show him hammering his BB up and over a grassy/sandy berm at speed and slamming on his Ted Brakes to stop. He slides a little ways, but it is impressive in how much quicker the machine stops.

Nope, still there. Here you go-
    You have to ignore it when he says that Kubota and Deere have front brakes in this video (third row from top, and center video). He meant front mounted brake pedals for the rear brakes-
    http://www.everythingattachments.com/Implement-Video-Demonstrations-s/2999.htm

Half way down the list are two with him on a sandy hill. The first is the intro with some filmed on pavement, and the last half on sand/grass, and the second is al sand hill/ grass-

10. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Awesome find on that video. Do you have the front brakes on your mowers?