New ZTR or add velkie?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patfo, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

I'm considering going full time this coming year. I currnently have a 36 in. 14 HP kaw Snapper walk behind. Checked out the ExmarkHP 48 in. 21 Hp kaw last night. I will be mowing residential and hopefully some small commercial. Should I add a velkie to my Snapper(and double blade it) saving time over last year being able to mow in fifth gear or go for the Exmark which financially will knock me back. Should I wait until the business really takes off amd then go for the Exmark? I have 20 or 21 accounts from last year. Any feedback greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

A velkie will really increase your productivity like you wouldn't believe. You'll have to balance the money saved by not getting the ZTR and continuing on with your 36" against the increased productivity on ZTR and the increased room in your schedule for more accounts/money or free-time (which ever you value more at this point). Good luck - if you decide to keep with the 36" defintely put a velkie on it!

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

It really depends on the net you have been taking in.
    If you are 21 accts though i think the you are ready for the upgrade. This will allow you to double you output.
    If the 36 is a good one hang on to it so if you eventually
    go z you dont have to get a gate.I MADE THAT MISTAKE AND
    LET MY GOOD LITTLE KEES GO. MISTAKE

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Take a chance and get a ZTR. You will cut more lawns and you wont be tired at the end of the day. If you get a ZTR you'll have to make yourself build your business up. I used a walkbehind for 6 years before I got a ZTR. If I'd know back then how productive they are, I would have got one my second year in business. A ZTR will cut almost as much grass as 2 walkbehinds. GO FOR IT!

5. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

get a ztr and keep your 36' snapper i have 3.5 acres and with my ztr (60"chariot)takes me 1hour and5 minutes and with my 36"snapper with jungle wheeles takes for ever all that bouncen around and handle bars in the gut i have not cut it all at the same time with the 36" like i have with the ztr i would find my self looking for reasons to stop and take a break .
    i do use dbl.blades on the 36"snapper and will keep it that way gators on top and high lifts on bottom .i dont like the mulching plate or the ninja blades .
    dbl blades seem to give better(darker&lighter) stripes .

6. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

RDH is right. Keep the 36 inc they are great for the gated back yards. I do not know if the 12hp will suppot the vilke will if you have hills. More pull in the moter. GO with the ztr boy it cuts down on your time. I have a 48inch wb and have gotten a 60 inch ztr and that thing can cut. The two pices do have their own place in the yard. my 2 cents.

7. Get the sulky now. Three hundred is no big thing but $6K is.
    I like the trimmer trap model sulkys.

Also two blades are no problem when you have 7hp per blade.

If you are mowing lawns with a 36" your next set up should be a 52" walk behind. Then you can use the sulky on the 52 just by buying/making a extra mounting plate.

8. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

Thank you for responses!

9. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Forget the ztr until u really need it. 6k is a lot of money and personally i would rather bank it, than spend it. Hell ur in this for the money, but who knows down the line another 10 or 15 accounts and maybe the ztr is worth it.

10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I use a velke and there nice for the right job. But on the smaller yds that i can't get a rider on,Ive found that walking is faster for me, That's why i only use velkes on just a few yds. I have some hilly yds also walking is better. But there great on yds that you can use them on. Ive been riden one prob-around 2hrs a day for over 9yrs. But i try and stay on the ztr. My 52" walkbehind makes a great trim mower for me to, gets under them shrubs and trees and bushes. Marks Mowing Service.