New ZTR trainees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Mar 25, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How much time do you spend and just how do you go about training a new employee to operate a ZTR safely and professionally. I can handle all my accounts solo right now but it is possible that I may need to train a helper if business pics up. Lots of things I take for granted that the new guy might find out the hard way and I don't need any insurance claims, etc. Things such as walking the property off and checking for obstacles, mowing patterns, mowing around vehicles and people (which I try never to do on the vehicles and never around humans). I'm sure some of you have trained others with mixed results. What worked for you?

Case in point, a young boy fascinated by my mower wanted to ride his bike close to the lawn I was working on. After talking to him and explaining how dangerous it was (to no avail) I had to ask his parent to help me out as nicely as I could or I would have to stop.

And of course teaching them to take care of equipment which from the LCO's I see around here may be impossible. Some of the hired help are very recless when the boss is away. Also, I had a friend get hit with a fist size rock last year in the face from a Lazer his son was running. Broke jaw, but lucky. Also if that had been a customer or other person!! If I do ever hire any help I think I will keep them in areas that are relatively safe with the ZTR and theres always trimming and blowing that can be done.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You may need to train him on a larger spot if you have it.

3. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I always have the new guys try the ZTR's on my own lawn, in an open area. I will actually show them how to tear and not tear the grass when they are turning. This training has helped out a lot. I walk around with them for a little bit until they get the hang of it.

4. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's an idea that I stick to for a while at least. I just have the new employee ONLY mow with a bagger ztr for awhile until he gets the hang of it. - Kinda cuts down on the chances of zing-ing a rock etc for some time until they become more experienced and I feel comfortable.... just an idea for you. Best of Luck in the up-coming 2007 Season!!!:usflag: :waving:

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

how would they know if a rock would have zinged out the mower unless they hear it beating through the bagger??? i typically try to train at my house for a few minutes then only let them do easy open no hazzards/obsticle lawns until they get the hang of it. even then it take them quite a while to make the strips straight.