1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenkeepers, Jun 5, 2000.

1. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We have been looking for a ztr lately and think we might have finally chosen one. A new 48" Lazer Z HP with a 18hp Kohler. What do you guys think? We chose 48" for its versatility because most of our accounts are residential. Thanks for any input in advance.
  2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a new toro z-master sat. I got the 62 deck and 25 Kohler. I have two walkbehinds 52 decks 80% of my business is residential. Personally i would get a larger deck, youll save time, Id would go with the HP 52,You never know when you might take on bigger jobs.<p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>
  3. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

48 is good but 52 is not bad either if you ask me. You can do a nice job with a 52 if you pay attention to the scalping and the 48 is great for res accounts but not so good for bigger jobs i would go w?48 if you have a high percentage of res. accounts.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Do your customers want it bagged? I have mostly residentials and half are bagged. Just got a brand new Walker 26EFI and can do real well with a 42&quot; deck. It gets me thru small gates into big backyards. The No-Catch deflector for 50 bucks works really well if you dont need to bag. <br>The unit is a bit expensive but its really versatile - I will be getting a 54&quot; side disch for bigger properties and the thing is super for dethatchings and fall leaf cleans. <br>Good Luck.
  5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Mow Ed,<br> I just bought a 26hp efi myself.<br>Mine has a 48&quot; deck.It has a lot of power for<br>a 48&quot;,so I gotta wonder if a 26hp with a<br>42&quot; might be overkill.They seem to be a great mower.<p>Karl<br>
  6. Greenkeepers

from NE Ohio

Well we made the decsion for the 48&quot; I don't believe how fast those things are compared to the walk-behind. Looks like more lawns to come. thanks for the input guys.
  7. Actually a 52&quot; walkbehind with a stand on<br>sulky like rocket wheels is just as fast as<br>a 48&quot; ztr without spending 2-3x as much $$$.
  8. Greenkeepers

from NE Ohio

Stone-<p>But the w/b doesn't have a place for a cupholder:) Plus I have a nice cushy seat to plop my ass on all day, instead of killing my back and knees.<p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers
  9. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

i bought a lazer hp52 inch this year and now i want a 44 inch or possiby a 48 lots of problem with scalping and doesnt mulch well either seems like the 52 is just a little to large for my residental accounts witch is all i do this time i would say go smaller
  10. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah stone,<p>My knees are killing me from the jungle wheels. Im loving my dixie more and more. Now that im ready for some knee surgery exspecially after an all day commercial cut on rough ground. I dont know how you do those fields without at least a sit down sulky.