New

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Oct 24, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hmm.. 1.5lbs lighter than the T231 with the same horsepower and slightly more CC. Almost looks like a non-Shindaiwa engine though.

3. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

looks like a redmax power head. They also use one in their backpack blower.

4. newz7151

from Tejas

No, I checked. The engine is Shindaiwa made. It's a new design. Part of what makes it lighter is a single stage catalyst muffler (as opposed to the big, heavier two stage on the T231's) & a smaller tank guard.

5. thill

thill LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried one? I would like some input if there is any out there.

Tom

6. newz7151

from Tejas

I doubt if anyone has gotten to try one yet. It's brand new. Literature won't even be out to dealers until November. Our rep has one which I have asked to get a look at next time he is by. You might ask around to some of the other LCOs in your area Thill that you know of that run Shindaiwa stuff and see if they have been one of the ones to get to try the T242.

7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm considering buying one of these. Has anyone tried one yet?

I have the Tanaka 230. Both are rated at 1.1 HP, but the Shin has a 3cc larger engine, so I'm thinking it's probably more powerful............ anyone agree that HP specs can be way off on trimmers? Or that the Shin is gonna have more torque even if the HP is the same, because the engine is larger?

I want to run an Edgit on either machine. The Tanaka doesn't have quite enough power to run it. (I have an Echo gearbox mounted to the 230 so the Edgit will attach)

I was considering a Kaw trimmer, but don't know if it will accept the Echo gearbox to attach the Edgit to.

So, bottom line......... anyone try this new Shin? Is it more powerful than the Tanaka 230?

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I see the 10.5 lbs. listed is WITHOUT the cutting head........ Shin up to their old tricks.............