Newb cert.... No newbies allowed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Acute Cut, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

So i am mildly frustrated today. I was on the comp for a few hours this morning looking up ways to learn hardscapes. I want to take a CLASS on retaining walls and pavers. No problem, they are all over the place. Most all classes have requirements though. Every one of them said to have "at least" on years experience.

So us newbies should just screw up jobs for the next year so i can take classes? I have read the web sites noted on here and done some other research as well. I want a hands on how to session. You would think that with the green industry advocating so much education that they would make it readily available to us idiots with no experience. Instead they will propogate idiocy through thier bass ackwards thinking. I think this whole movent is led by a bunch of guys that dont know a dang thing. Or better yet they know it all and forgot that we dont know it all yet.

If anyone knows of where to grab some hands on classes that will let Newbs in can yall let me know? Even the Paver instatute of Ignant Learning wont let newbs in. WTF! When i think of our industry leaders i think of that snake eating its own tail. No wonder we never get anywhere! :help: :help:

2. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

just lie about your experience when you sign up. how will they know??

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I kind of agree with this. What do they mean by "experience"? Have you ever stacked one rock on top of another? Then, you have experience! Now go take the class!

What kind of "classes" do you mean? Like a 12 month course, or just a demonstration?
    Have you checked out local garden centers, especially those who cater to landscapers? A lot of them, usually in early spring, have "shows" where suppliers come in and show how to use their products with quick demonstrations. Attending these demonstrations may just fulfill the requirement for "experience" also. I'm a little surprised you've had difficulties. Companies usually love to help landscapers learn how to use their products! They also will probably be very happy to help you find more classes on hardscapes.

Acute Cut likes this.
  4. Acute Cut

I have not looked into classes for a particular product. Maybe that is where i have been falling short. I guess the best class i have ever taken was the BAP class's. It was hands on and i could do that now with little to no problem. I just wanted an in depth how to kind of class, you know. A bob villa of hardscaping. I have some video's for pavers, but even those are like bob villa meets maralyn stewart home owner crap. I think i'll get of the different places around here and see if any of the product guys are going to be doing any demo's. Thanks guys. You have given me some good ideas. (I think)

On a side note: I know i could lie, but i wouldnt. Ever had a class and you KNEW one person had no clue what they were talking about? I plan on not being that guy unless the class is full of them. :) Besides, if you will so easily compromise your integrity on this where will it stop? Sounds stupid i know, but it keeps me honest. My motto if you will. "My integrity is worth more than (insert bad idea here)"

Thanks again guys.

5. environment

environment LawnSite Member

6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, american's are harsh in schooling down there eh?

Can't take a class because you dont have experience. How can you gain experience if you didnt take a class to learn how to get experience? :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

I'm taking classess in my local school to do all that you described..

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Was that experience necessary with the hardscape product, or was it experience in the green industry? I'd tend to think that it would be green industry experience, the reason for that is probably to try to weed out some do-it-yourself homeowners that will only tackle one or two jobs at their house. I would think that they would be willing to teach anyone in business how to install the stuff, it will only make them money in the long run...

I know a couple of years ago, my boss went to a class that was put on by the Belgard supplier. Granted they promoted Belgard products, but the concept is the same for Belgard, Keystone, Unilock, Versalok, etc, etc, etc.... If in doubt, get the manufacturer installation manual. Myself, 95% of my training has been practical, OTJ training....

Call some suppliers and tell them you are interested in installing walls/patios and see when some classes are coming up.

Good luck.

If all else fails, just keep checking back on this forum, you'll learn a lot here!!!

Dan

Acute Cut likes this.
  8. Acute Cut

You know, i never thought of that Dan. Thanks for the superb idea. I will work on researching numbers tomorrow and start calling. man, i wish i had thought of that! Thank you, thank you, thank you :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Its one years experience WORKING for someone who does this. They want you to have SOME knowledge so they don't have to start on the bottom with you.
    John