Newbe, Help me decide

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by keno, May 17, 2004.

1. keno

keno LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Ok,

Im a homeowner with 4 acres of thick healthy irragated fertlized grass, thast Im getting sick of mowing every 4 days with my Craftsman Garden tractor. It clumps, the deck is a pain to clean and so on.

Which machine should I be looking at?

Ive attached a pic of 1/3 of my front lawn(hilly part)

Im looking for the best value and a machine that will work for me. I may also go pick up 1 neigbors lawn to help offset the cost. But then I may not either :)

Ive checked the paper I saw 1 ad for a 2 yr old Toro with a 23HP air coled 62" deck with 100 hrs for 6300 or the dealer has new ones for 7K for a 52" deck.

Ive noticed most of the commercial guys are using Exmark or Toros in this area .

Can anyone point me to what I should be looking at. And yes Im a little anal about my yard

Ken

image23.jpg

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ask the dealers if you can test it out the mowers first. If they say no, then move onto someone else

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

For a home owner, I would buy the Toro ( not the one @ home depot ) go to a Toro dealer.

4. keno

keno LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

East Pro,

If I can ask why the Toro vs the Exmark or something else?

Any comments about that one used unit I mentioned as far as value

5. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

2 Months ago I was in the same situation as you. 3.5 acres of healthy green stuff growing like wild fire and I was using a Scotts (John Deere) 42" home depot special lawn tractor.

So... I started doing research (intensive). I concluded that for my size yard to be able to knock it out in 2 hours or less I needed a 60" ZTR. Did more research and demoed... Long story short: I purchased a Exmark Lazer Z with a 60" deck and a 27 HP Kohler. It took a few cuts to get used to it (stay away from the ditch) but now I can cut the lawn in 1 hour and 50 minutes. I timed it.

I am a lawn fanatic... this is my drug!! I also went out and just bought this: http://www.jrcoinc.com/spreader.html I bought the electric broadcast spreader for fert and seed and such. No more walking for me :)

Get a ZTR at least 52" and you will be happy!!!!

6. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Hustler is having a sale you cannot beat. Z with a 25Kawasaki and 60" deck for @$7,000. I was looking at the exmark but could not touch one for that price. Folks here are going to push you towards the smaller commercial line of both exmark and Hustler but if you have the $ don't go down that road. If you plan on mulching get the most horsepower you can. As for hills, both the Hustler and Exmark would work just don't mow the hill when it is wet.

7. keno

keno LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

JHE,

Is that a local sale, those #s seem very good. Any documentation anywhere for the sale

Thanks

8. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

That is what I have been quoted the past 2 weeks on a Hustler Z 60" cut with 25 KAW. 7,800 on Super Z 60"cut with Honda 24 HP engine. There is a dealer rebate on Mini z's and above of 1300 until the end of May. The Fastrack has 700 dealer rebate till end of May. My dealer also told me this past Saturday that on June 1 there will be new and different financing.

9. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I have a Hustler Z-60",23hp Kaw. Great mower. Find a dealer in your area and take one for a spin. By the way, the above pricing sounds great. Does it have a suspension seat?

10. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

The Hustler Z for 7,000 did not have a suspensions seat. They said they would trade up to one for an extra $350.00. The Super Z 60" cut with Honda 24 HP did have the suspension seat.