1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

newbe question!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MRGreenstuff, Sep 30, 2004.

1. MRGreenstuff

MRGreenstuff LawnSite Member

Was wondering how to decide when to step up from a 36 to a 48. Where would you draw the line as far as square footage to cut ? and is there really a big difference 12 more inches makes. As always thanks for helping a newbe out!
  2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you deal with a large number of gates, it's never a bad time to upgrade to the 48. I use mine on properties as small as 2k. 3 passes on the 48 is the same as 4 on the 36, doesn't take long to start adding up the time savings. Depending on the size of your accounts, may even be smart to go a little bigger if this is your primary mower.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I agree you might want to consider going bigger than a 48. IMO, 48s are getting somewhat obsolete. Most of the gates I go thru are 42" or less, so a 48 won't work. Since you've already got the 36, why not consider something larger than a 48?
  4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on your gate size! If you can get through most of your gates with a bigger wb go for it. If you have a lot of accounts and big gates go for a Z.