Newbie and Baseline Watertec s100

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duntov, Mar 15, 2008.

1. duntov

duntov LawnSite Member

I am not in the landscape business, but a homeowner who is trying to not reduce waste and improve my lawn. I attempted to install the Watertec s100, and have a few questions.

I currently have a 5 zone sprinkler system, wich pop up sprinklers and rotor type heads, controlled by a Hunter Pro-C. The Watertec S100 was set up as the directions instructed.

The 24V power (Red and Blue wire) was connected to the the Pro-C controller and terminal A & B as outlined in the instructions. The common (ground) for the sprinkler timer (Pro-C) was connected to terminal C & E on the Watertec. The valve common (brown wire) was connected to the D terminal. The final connection (Green wire) for the valve was conneted to the F terminal. If it matters the Watertec S100 is connected to the valve for zone 2. The instructions can be found here http://www.baselinesystems.com/literature/S100/S100_ProductManual.pdf

I get a reading from the Watertec that appears to be inline, and there are no errors that are indicated. I can manually run Zone 2 even though the Watertec says that it should not. The Valve Active light lights when zone 2 is engaged.

Did I connect something wrong? I kind of think that somehow the Watertec should be connected to the Sensor for the Pro-C controller (like a Water-click), but was not outlined in the instructions.

I have not been able to figure out how the Watertec keeps the sprinklers from activating when not needed.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the Watertec work as advertised. As it stands right now I am going to call Baseline on Monday to get their input on what to do. I figure that someone here might have experience with one of these sensors.

Thanks
    Matt

2. duntov

duntov LawnSite Member

I don't think that I am smart enough.

Here is how I have the wiring on the watertec, color of wire, and what it is connected to on the Pro-C controller.

WaterTec Wire Timer
    A Red AC2 (24V)
    B Blue AC1 (24 V)
    C Yellow Ground (on timer)
    D Brown Valve common
    E White Ground (on timer)
    F Green Valve 2

I have tried running a jumper wire from the green and brown wire to the sensor, which did not resolve the issue. Tried moving the green and brown wire to the sensor, and again did not resolve issue. Removed the sprinkler common and that gave an error on the watertec.

Any ideas?

I looked at the link prior to purchasing the Watertec. I was looking at a water sensor from Nelson turf products before ordering the watertec.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why are you connecting yellow and white to the timer ground?

4. duntov

duntov LawnSite Member

The instructions said to connect the yellow and white wire (terminal C & E on the watertec) to common on the sprinkler timer.

Should these be moved to the sensor terminals on the timer?

Matt

5. if you could take a picture of how you hooked it up on the controller because I reviewed your wiring for a pro-c and it looks correct per the instructions...

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Why is brown common? Yes a system will work with any color connected anywhere but common should always be white. What we call common is called neutral in the electrical industry. The reason white is neutral / common is because it is an industry standard. The reason for industry standards is so anyone can work on a system.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Your wiring diagram does not say you connected to the common, but instead the ground. There is a difference.

Red box is the ground, green box is the common.

proc.jpg

8. duntov

duntov LawnSite Member

I agree that white is normally the ground wire, but I tried to follow the directions the best that I could. They call for two different commons, one for the sprinkle timer and one for the valve common. That is the reasoning behind connecting the common for the sprinkler timer to the ground on the sprinkler timer.

The installation instructions for the watertec are here http://www.baselinesystems.com/literature/S100/S100_ProductManual.pdf I am looking at page 6 and using Option A.

These are the pictures of the wiring for the Pro-C and the watertec.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

You need to connect the common from field to the unit, then the common from unit to the controller, the idea being the common runs thru the unit and gets interupted before signal gets to controller.