newbie at landscaping with landscape issues at home w/pics

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by rokinrandy, May 24, 2005.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

3. rokinrandy

rokinrandy LawnSite Member
    from nc

i am definitely going to do the work.i can do the work of 5 mexicans payup .plus i need the landscaping experience,at least something besides mowing and raking and crap like that..i like being creative and i have to sweat a little every day..i just wonder if pine straw makes high acid in soil..and if not what else causes high acid content

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry,...to answer that question,...yes. Pine straw is exTREMEly acidic, and easily moves into the soil. This is one reason why turf doesn't grow very well under pine trees. (even after they're cut high for light). Other trees such as oak do this over time, as well.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

rockinrand.... your gonna need to do better than that,I don't like that your exaggerating the squareness of the house and your gonna need tree's and the bed shape is VERY WRONG!! and you not useing the yard to it's full potential,Though you are buget limited,if you start out with the right idea in mind,you can add as you can afford it.What you drew is not the right idea at all nor is it creative ..But it's your place,just my professional opinion. :cool2:

6. rokinrandy

from nc

yes,i was going to add as i can afford..the lay out on the pic is wrong due to me not being a good artist .i am much better at using a scale ruler and so on..and this is just pahase one i guess i can say.i like what you had in mind personally..i would also like that type of idea on the other side of the house as well.what do you think about the little water feature idea(could'nt draw that in either..the only issues that come to mind in the part of the house with the pic is if you look you can see my water ditribution box..i sure don't want no trees near that or the water main and being able to drive in the double gate with my truck ..next year i hope to add trees and stepping stones ...the front is a little over a 1/4 acrepart of the fron is to the far right outside of the pic..this section in the pic is very small.. and my back yard is over an acre..in another 2 years i want a pool..i will keep my progress posted..thanks so much ms shovel

7. rokinrandy

from nc

ok this is a little closer to the drawing you had ..but i am still in the habbit of being uniform and square (bad habbit i picked up from building)..it is like an echo of the house.but the shrubs are a little different..

where do i put d trees.PNG

8. sheshovel

OK but round out the point(bad Feng Shui) and plant both sides of the path.The point thing should be rounded out to match the barrel roundness if for no other reason,water feature is OK,
    but bring the bench out of the flowerbed and you don't have to step into it to sit down..
    My last on this,hope it helps, so just stay with the pathway thing,but plant both sides.
    The reason I suggested you bringing the plantings AWAY from the foundation of the home is because just planting that way makes the yard POP and lends less impact to the house itself.
    Plus up-to-the base of the house planting is pretty much OUT as far as landscape design trend has gone in the last 10 years.
    It's more difficult to maintain,
    encourages moisture at the house foundation and is BORING.
    Loose the small rocks no matter what you do they will look bad..... Sheshovel

9. sheshovel

Thankyou very much runner,your very nice to say that! :waving: Sheshovel

10. rokinrandy

from nc

gee,and i was going to send you plane tickets so you could do this thing..lol .. thanks,randy