Newbie EPHCHC wife

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by greenbottle27, Feb 13, 2007.

1. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 LawnSite Member

Hi guys -

My name is Julie and I am here because I love my husband and my husband loves pavers.... in the same breath I have to add he hates computers.
    Hence me here - not him. I've got tons of questions
    but just wanted to start by introducing myself.

I have a job full-time (not with Frank) but was curious if there are any other wives out there in the same situation... eating dinner at 9/10pm, never seeing your significant other April-Sept, no vacations in the spring or summer... then it's football season..

And guys - if you work with your spouse, to what extent? Is she in the office? Does she measure up jobs with you? Operate the loader?

I'll post my real questions next :)

Attached are 2 random pictures - please pick them apart! 100_1691.jpg

100_1613.jpg

100_1691.jpg

100_1613.jpg

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm trying - they look great .

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like all of the questions my wife would ask if i had one. When i do marry the right one i hope she takes as much interest as you in my work. How much do you participate with your husbands business.

The pics look good. nice work he does.

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Julie -- I agree with McKeeLand ... it's nice that you take such an interest in your husband's work and make the effort to help him with his business. Unfortuantely, like McKeeLand, I haven't been blessed with marriage either. Best wishes to you.

5. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

They look great. Price [make money] things right and with that great work you'll have to beat them off with a stick. So we all hope.

As for working with a spouse. My wife works part time plus takes care of house and two boys. Yes i do help! But working with spouse is difficult thing to do i've watched my mother and father do it in our other family business. It's hard. But it can be done and done with great success. If you go that route set boundaries. Talk about work during work time. Make sure you have time for each other. Sounds easy but this can be a slippery slope. Oh yeah i've been up close and personal on this one. Don't know how they keep it together. Must have been true love. But mom works some where else and she has never been happier.

good luck any questions let me know.:waving:

6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

:cool2: My wife is my own personal CPA !

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

When i have a wife i hope she wants to take part in the business. If not i'll have to listen to here complain about how she never sees me april-dec and how she wants to me to get out of the house and stop watching tv jan-mar !!!

8. greenbottle27

Holly cow! You guys are quick! Frank would still be trying to figure out how to log on to the internet LOL

I so appreciate your input and support. It’s so interesting to me how everyone out there makes it all work. I’ll tell Frank he had compliments on his pics – he’ll scold me for not picking the right ones.

Jason – I do what I can for him, which isn’t much. I’ll haul loads of dirt or stone, pickup plants, do the advertising in the yellow pages, snow plow, look-up stuff on the internet – usually tracking down a picture of a flower some homeowner wants cause ‘she’ saw it in a magazine (ugh!) be the ear to the many “guess what the boys did today” stories but most of all I’m the constant reminder that no matter how bad he hates the colors or pattern the client picked out…the customer is ALWAYS (almost) right! You have to bite the bullet at some point. Right?! Hey I just realized that you don’t have a "Mrs" chewing on your ear about why the trade show is ALWAYS during Valentines* LOL * Lucky you! Poor Frank! I stuck a card under the beer in the cooler in a baggie... I so need a life!

Lawnsite.com I’ve attached a few more for you to pick at. I love picking at others – pretty sick for a girl to say that huh?! I will let you know that the landing above the semi circle step isn't Frank work.. Clients wanted to leave it as is. Hmmmm...Hampstead, Md – that would make u a Terp fan correct? I just saw Duke Sunday sobbing while they left the Comcast center! Awesome game!

Lifetree – thanks for the kind words! If I find a few worthy gals I’ll send ‘em to TN and to the Jersey shore.

Ahhhh, Stonescapes. Glad to hear you do have that balance. It is tough. Kudos for keeping that happy medium and to your Mrs for her double duty. My in-laws have a garden center and that has been the family livelihood for generations. Frank was the one to step outside the box and branch off and it was the best move. He was blessed with his hands. Truly blessed. However, when they were handing out technology smarts – he got in the wrong line. He’s muddled along for 10 years. I’ve seen what other companies are pumping out and I’ve got to (and want to) help him step –up his game. I’m starting with the basics – logo, website, promo material… then design imaging. I just need to focus on the stuff he pushes to the back burner. Does that sound like a good plan? And you’re right it must and has to be true love.

Well night all - lookin forward to the extra room in bed while Frank is at the show..more room for me the dogs and cat!!

100_1839.jpg

100_1826.jpg

100_1685.jpg

100_1875.jpg

100_1863.jpg

100_1839.jpg

100_1826.jpg

100_1685.jpg

100_1875.jpg

100_1863.jpg

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Julie -- I like em lookin nice, nice, nice ... if ya know what I mean, Vern !!! LOL !!!

10. greenbottle27

You betcha Vern - I'll only send the keepers ;-)