Newbie FasTrak questions

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by E36M3, May 18, 2005.

1. E36M3

E36M3 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

This is my first post. :waving:

I am planning on buying a FasTrak 20/52 and have two questions.

First, is the lawn burning issue resolved? I searched the forum and it seems like there is a FasTrak heat shield fix, but I'm not 100% sure of it.

Second, I've seen two styles of rear-end trim. One is high and encases the whole motor. The other is low and leaves the motor exposed. What is the difference? Is it 52" vs. 44"? Kohler vs. Honda? 2004 vs. 2005? I would like to guard the whole motor if I have a choice.

Thanks for all the help. If it wasn't for this forum, I might be driving something from Lowes or TSC. :rolleyes:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The lawn burning issue is very limited and only in certain conditions, there is a heat shield a dealer can install if it is a problem on your lawn.
    As for the rear engine guard.... eventually all the FasTraks will have this higher rear guard, I am not sure if we are currently building all FasTraks with them now, I will find out.

Pj

3. E36M3

E36M3 LawnSite Member

Thanks PJ,

I ordered the 20/52 Honda with mulch kit & hourmeter. It will be delivered on Friday. :cool2:

Hopefully it comes with the high engine guard. The 2004 Brochure shows all low-back. The 2005 brochure shows half high & half low, but all FasTraks pictured with armrests also have high guards (I assume these represent the 2005's). Looks like they reused many of the 2004 pictures.

Its supposed to rain here Friday and Saturday, so I'll be chomping at the bit to get it out on Sunday!!!

Thanks to all again.

4. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

E36 - congrats, I just bought the Honda 20/52 Fastrak last November and love it. A few things I would recommend getting if you haven't already:

Seat Springs - These help immensely. If you have any bumps in your lawn and don't have the springs, it will bounce the bejesus out of you.

Arm Rests - Much more comfortable with these.

Steering Lever Extensions - I am 6'4" and the stock steering arms were just barely above my legs. The extensions raise the levers 2-4 inches and are much more comfortable.

About the Mulch Kit - it does a great job, just don't let the grass get too long. I can't even see the clippings on my lawn, it looks like I bagged it. I wouldn't worry about getting the gator blades - in my opinion the stock blades create more "lift" and cut cleaner than the gators.

Have a good time! I actually love mowing, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy.

5. E36M3

E36M3 LawnSite Member

Thanks bderks, I'm looking forward to it.

I will consider the seat springs. My lawn is not perfectly smooth for sure. I don't have to worry about the handle exensions though, I'm only 5'9". :rolleyes: The armrests are now standard for 2005.

Hopefully, this mower will get me out mowing more often so i'll just be cutting the tops off the grass. Mulching should be a no-brainer. Problem here is, I have Bermudagrass. It grows best at the time you want to mow least. When its HOT. :blob2:

6. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

The springs are necessary on the FasTrac. It's way too bumpy without them. With the springs it's a good improvement.