1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Newbie for sure here!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boxoffire, Aug 5, 2004.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Hi Green Industry people (the best in the world!). I may join you, and I may sink. Laid off my last job 6 months ago and no money coming in anymore (well I did apply for Unemployment today, so not all is lost).

Got a hitch put on my 93 Jeep Cherokee Laredo today (2 inch ball) and have a John Deere L110 tractor only. I need more I know, but what about my tractor. What jobs do I get for my lawn tractor? I know I need weed eaters, blowers, edgers maybe, and other accessorries, like a trailer also.

I'm 40 and in decent health and LOVE to cut grass and would LOVE to be my own boss for once. Love to play golf so want to work in mornings and play golf in evenings/afternoons sometimes while my brothers and sisters are still at work! LOL....

Can I do this? I just ordered a book on Amazon about starting a successful landscaping buisness. Am I sounding like I'm moving closer to really doing this. Never hurts to have a hitch and trailer regardless I guess. My family is laughing at me when I talk about it since I used to work in computer industry for 20 years. Think I'm crazy. I'm serious though.

Thanks and I'll be out here for a while reading and learning.

Have a great night!

2. cowboy1

cowboy1 LawnSite Member

check out lawncare success.com it's a good site
  3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to LawnSite and good luck.....
  4. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Thanks. I could use some--good luck that is. I'm a little scared and excited at the same time. I'm sure I'll make plenty of mistakes, but that's a given in the learning process. I should know that by now. Just hope they aren't too costly. I think I like the boots avatar the best so far. I'm changing mine. Later...
  5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

No your not crazy !! I was a computer programer once, till I found out I was an outside person. The most important thing is that you want to do something you love, therfore you will do well, as that's half the battle :) Good luck, and don't listen to people close to you, listen to you heart !!
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi boxoffire,

You can do this. Keep us posted as you go :)
  7. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

Research,Research,Research,....And you've come to the greatest Green Industry website available(IMO). Search for anything you can think of. SERIOUSLY, the question HAS been asked or answered. In fact, when I first started, i book marked everything that i though would be of interst to a new business man. Please feel free to PM me if you feel you could use some extra info. I wish you the best of luck Boxoffire. -Forest:cool: