Newbie from Middle Tennessee

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DanDodge, Jun 11, 2008.

1. DanDodge

DanDodge LawnSite Member

Just got started this year and I'm loving it. Went from job to job for years and couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. Ended up that working outside and being my own boss seems to be what I needed. Thanks to a loving wife who is supporting me all the way (She's also a graphic designer and marketing major and that helps) I'm doing OK.

Got the idea to mow lawns when my dad gave me a 46 inch Murray riding mower last year. Unfortunately that was the same time we got hit with the drought so no lawns to mow at that time.

This year is my first and I can't thank dad enough, he lives in Oklahoma and keeps showing up with equipment to help me grow the business. Just brought me a 16 foot tandem axle trailer last week he got for $600 then calls and says a friend of his from church has sold his rental houses and wondered if I'd be interested in a 9hp chipper shredder, if so it's mine for the taking. I have to thank God as well because he keeps dropping these things in my lap. Guess I was put on this earth to mow lawns. Thats fine with me!

Just landed my first big mulching job. A lady from my church has 2800 square feet of flower beds she wants mulch added to so that job will make me enough for a used walk behind with a zelkie. I baby the Murray but it's 14 years old and I don't want to push it too hard and end up with no mower.

Well thats my story so far. Hope to add more in the years to come. This site is a great place and everyone here is awesome.

Thanks to you all for the great info. The Do's and Dont's thread for beginners has already saved me untold dollars and headaches.

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

congrats. keep God in your business. He'll take care of you.