Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ameteur865, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ameteur865

ameteur865 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a commercial level walk-behind for my home. I do not intend to use it for business until my son is old enough to use it.

I saw the below ad on craigs list. What do you think about he Toros and the price? I have emailed to find out if it is hydro or gear drive. Also, what is the performance/maintenance advantage between gear and hydro drive?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Toro Proline 48 – 2005 model.

48” fixed deck

15hp Kawasaki Twin Cylinder Motor

Great shape, bought for personal lawn - was not used for commercial use. Mower has no more than 250 hrs on it. Hence, it isn't worn out!!!

Two-wheel Velke included. Also, has two keys with it and a full set of manuals for maintenance that originally came with the mower.

We’ve moved and no longer need this nice and big of a mower for the yard I’m cutting now. It cuts extremely smooth and leaves a beautiful stripe on the yard. You’ll be extremely happy with the finish this mower will leave.

Both are in excellent shape, were greased approximately every 3-5 cuts. Very well maintained. Very little wear on the mower.

Asking $2000.00 / will consider reasonable offers.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A hydro is easier to operate and has a working reverse instead of reverse assist. The hydro also has fewer external moving parts so maintenance is easier, but also can cost more should a pump or hydro motor fail.

A fixed deck is less forgiving on uneven terrain and is also harder to change the cut height (The main reason to get a floater). The ProLine is also a stamped deck from what I remember and is not as strong as a welded 7 gauge deck.

If the person selling is truthful it appears to be a pretty good deal. Have you by any chance looked at the Quick 36? http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a winner for your situation.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't say if it was pistols or t-bar, but you can get the Toro Proline 48 fixed deck belt drive with pistol grips brand new with free shipping from www.alamia.com for $2895. But if you want a Toro wb I would recommend the t-bar control as being much easier to use and it don't cause carpal tunnel -- might be especially important while your son's musculo-skeletal system is still developing. Also the t-bar has an actual working reverse, not just assisted reverse. I really like my old t-bar 44 with the stamped floating deck.

If you do a search on Toro tbar -OR- Toro t-bar there is plenty of info

And the general opinion is that t-bar is the closest you can get to hydro without actually paying for hydro (except side mowing slopes).

Can't speak on the quik36 but everybody who has one seems to really like them. Can't remember anything bad about them ever being posted except with the single hydro they are somewhat difficult to use side mowing slopes, just like any belt drive wb. If the quik36 was available when I started there is a good chance I would have bought it.

Like cga says, dual hydro is without any doubt the easiest and best drive system for a wb, but it does not come cheap.

5. ameteur865

Thanks for the replys!

I guess I failed to mention an important feature of my new yard and the reason I want a walk behind rather than a rider. I have a fairly steep hill in the back yard that I will need to "side cut". The previous owners had it cut professionaly with a walk-behind so I know it is doable (the guy did a nice job, I just enjoy taking care of my yard).

It sounds like there may be features I need to consider for a slope?

Thanks again, you folks are very helpful.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

That mower would work well especially for a homeowner. It would also work well for an operator but not as easily as the more expensive featured machines the other guys are talking about. For once a week and for the hill, it would work well for a homeowner.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I sometimes put the Proline 44 on side mowing, but when it is 100 deg. it takes a lot out of me to keep it pointed (crabbing) uphill so it goes straight across the slope or bank. It is doable but not fun. Dual hydro would most definitely by easier.

I guess if we knew how steep an angle is your hill and how many sq ft of side mowing it has, then we could come up with better ideas. Dual hydro is best but $$$$.

8. ameteur865

The yard is 25,000 spuare feet minus a house and driveway.

In the steapest area, the hill is probably 20-30 degrees.

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

25,000 is not all that much workwise. If we assume the hill at the back is 5000, that could be done with a 21" if you chose to. Or you could manhandle it with a belt wb.

You might be able to do the whole lawn with a lawn tractor or garden tractor if the rider has bolt-on rear wheels. I had wheel spacers made for my garden tractor to give the rear wheels a wider stance and more stability. Just an inch on each side makes a lot of difference. Additionally I can bolt rear wheel weights on it to lower the center of gravity and it is then pretty stable on slopes, makes a lot of difference. You can also fill all the tires half full of windshield fluid or pink RV fluid to further lower the center of gravity. Chevron or ag tires on the rear would also help.

There are a lot of options, and the best and safest is still the dual hydro wb.

Whatever you put on the hill needs a motor with a pressurized oil system.