Newbie here. Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mighty B's, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Mighty B's

Mighty B's LawnSite Member

Yes, I have a business plan. I am asking if the package is a good deal because I have never bought a commercial mower and don't know what to expect to pay or if discounts are given. I mentioned commercial properties as a goal next year and while that may be a bit ambitious, it is not impossible. I am talking about small commercial properties or even subdivisions. I do not need any of the income that is brought in to live off of. Everything is reinvested into the business. As soon as I can get enough work to keep an employee busy 5 days a week, I will. I am the President of the HOA in the neighborhood where I have a rental property and have a good working relationship with the management company. While I won't bid my own community (conflict of interest as I can decide to give myself the contract), I believe with the relationship we have established, they would be more than happy to recommend my company. Everyone has to start somewhere.

So while this may seem like a toy purchase, it is not. I am starting a legitimate business which I hope to grow as the years go by.

And yes you can buy a jet and start flying passengers around. Just as soon as you spend the $100,000 it takes to get all your certificates and then get enough time under your belt that an insurance company is willing to take the risk of insuring you. :cool2:
  2. Keene Landscaping

Keene Landscaping LawnSite Member

Sounds like a decent deal, I would demo a few more mowers before you decide on the exmark. I have mowed with Exmarks, Dixie Choppers, Ferris, and Hustlers and spents 100's of hours on each. I know everyone has their preference on mowers like they do truck brands, but hands down Hustler is the most enjoyable/smoothest operating machine of the lot. The Dixie and Exmark's hydro controls are "choppy" compaired to hustler. Before you make a decision demo a hustler super z vs the others and the performance will speak for itself especially if you have the money.
  3. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

I can't believe he compared mowing lawns to flying a jumbo jet. You compared getting on a zero turn and making some stripes to flying 200 people around at 36,000 feet hahaha I've received a ton of crap on here about starting my business because some people read half of your post and they assume you are just an idiot. Now 95% of the members on here are GREAT and give legit advice even if it's newbie question. Even if it were a toy purchase it's 0% for 48mo. Buy it it's going to make you money.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

How is anyone supposed to know if its a good deal, you haven't a price. Exmark makes commercial grade mowers. Thats the only answer that can be given with the information you provided. For a few thousand less if its the same setup I would take the scag and buy a 30" if that's your thing and still save a grand. They're not giving you a free 30" they're rolling the price into the package price. Its like offering to mow a lawn for free all year if they pay $1000 for the first mow.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Mighty B's

Well, the final price I got for the 2 was $11,000. I know it's kind of rolled in. There is nothing free in this world. ;-)
  6. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

$11,000 is not a no brainer price. If you have a need for two mowers, get two mowers, but the price of the "free " mower is wrapped into the $11k. Assess your needs, shop for what you need, and get the best bang for the buck
  7. Mighty B's

The price without the "offer" was $10,174. So in essence, the 30 inch is just over $800.
  8. marc228

marc228 LawnSite Member

I just bought the same mower 3 weeks ago for 9499. I prefer the exmark over the scag. I have owned both. I can't stand a walk behind. Owned one for a month and never will again.
  9. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The 30 inch isn't free. They're great mowers, but if you have a Z, you'll probably barely use it. Better off getting a nice 21 for a fraction of the price, or bumping up to a much better quality 36 WB for a little more.

I'll never understand why people don't like walk behinds. I enjoy mowing on a ztr just because its so much easier, but I don't think I'll ever get one.
  10. Mighty B's

Is that fleet price? Have you bought before from that dealer that you're a regular? That's the one with the RED technology?
    Posted via Mobile Device