Newbie here with commercial question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by boxoffire, Dec 6, 2004.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

I was wondering about possibly getting a shot at a couple of businesses near my area to do their grounds maintenance (mowing, trimming, mulching, seeding, etc...) for next season. Since it's nearing the end of this year, I'm wondering if I need to start finding out about these businesses now before year end to see if they might be shopping other landscaping companies to bid on their property about now. I am new :help: and would like to get a couple if possible and don't know where to start with this process. Do you just send them a letter in the mail briefly describing who you are and what you do and give them your contact info in order that you may bid on their business? Or do you just call them or stop by and ask? I am a bit lost on this subject so please forgive me, I was just hoping some of you experienced folks could lead me in the right direction so that I might have a shot at landing a couple. I will probably do mostly residential but feel the need for at least 1 or 2 larger properties for a yearly deal so I can count on at least something solid for 05. If not I'm going to go into next year very unsure of making money that I want to make. This would be a big step for me I feel. How does it all work in this regard is what I guess I'm trying to find out. I'm not insured yet but you can bet you bottom dollar I will get it when I get anything lined up. Thanks for any input to help me out. Have a Merry Christmas everyone and a safe and Happy New Year too of coarse! :drinkup:
  2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial, I think, is a tough nut to crack for the average newbie.

But now would be the time to start. Many large properties do their bidding and budgeting before the end of the year. Get off your a$$ and make the visits. Walk in like you own the place, and ask to see (or at least get the name and phone number of) the grounds manager. You better have some good literature or marketing material you can leave, and eventually you better hit it off with the person in charge of grounds. Before you go in, have a clue as to what they might be looking for.....

Commercial is tough. Alot of price shopping goes on. Set yourself apart by identifying what the prospect might be looking for, as far as a lawn service goes, and go in with his/her needs in mind. You will get alot of doors slammed on your a$$, but if you stick to it, don't get discouraged, and keep at it, you'll get the 2 or 3 properties you desire.

Good luck and let us know how its going.....
  3. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

10 4 TurfPro. I have been on my a$$ a little lately, LOL...
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi boxoffire,

Quite often you will see on this board the importance of knocking on doors to find out who is in charge of this. Let them know you exist and follow up on your calls. You can get the jobs you want.

Keep up the great work.
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I started this week woing to some small commercials I have been eyeing all season. I just went in and asked who was in charge of hiring for lawns maintenence. My luck was that most of them were not in at the time. I left my flier (basicaly a list of services) with who I talked to and introduced myself a bit and asked them to pass the flier along to the person in charge. I also got that persons name so I can cll them in a few a weeks and see if they are taking bids or not. It's never too early. I just waited till now because yesterday ws the first day I was out and not in grubby work clothes. I like to look a bit more profecional when making these contacts. The couple of stops where I got to talk to someone in charge, they did ask for bids. I think one will just hire the cheapest which I probably won't be but I will bid anyway just in case.
  6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

They dont care who you are what you do all they care about is the lowest price. If you screw it up they will get the next highest bidder.