Newbie in Need of ZTR Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnSculptor, Apr 1, 2005.

1. LawnSculptor

LawnSculptor LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I’m researching and shopping for my first zero turn mower. I own an acreage and mow about five flat acres of tree filled bluegrass. I’ll also be mowing my parents and in-laws yards. My plan is to buy the most dependable ztr mower for the price and desire a high quality cut.

I’ve looked at Exmark, Gravely, Scag, Cub Cadet, Grasshopper, Toro, Dixie Chopper, Deere and Kubota. By the way I’ve tested a couple of models at my home and have never had so much fun on a mower.

The purchase selection is based on quality, price and service availability in our area. Right now the decision is down to an Exmark Lazer Z 72” with a 28 HP Kohler electronic fuel injection engine ($10,250) and a Dixie Chopper Extreme 72” with a 32HP Generac ($9,100).

I’m leaning towards the Exmark because it’s quieter, seems to ride better and it seems to be very well engineered, but is it worth it considering it’s a thousand bucks more than the Chopper? I also plan to purchase the vac kits each manufacturer provides. Dixie’s Vortex vac kit is $2K, Exmarks Quickdump vac kit is $2,250. The one thing I really like about the Dixie Chopper is the seat. They really got that right. Anyone know if they build it themselves or buy it somewhere else and put their brand on it.

I’ve reviewed past comments on a variety of mowers on this forum, but could sure use some advice from the pro's in the lawn care business.

Does the pricing look fair in comparison to what others are paying for like ZTR’s? Which ZTR would you buy and why?

Any and all comments related to the Dixie Chopper versus the Exmark are appreciated.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Dixie Chopper does build the mower themselves. I would choose the Dixie chopper over the Exmark. You said you thought the Exmark rode better than the Dixie but the Dixie should have rode better because of the wider tire to tire width and the Exmark is a lot shorter than most mowers which would make it ride worse. Maybe the Exmark you drove had the suspension seat and the Dixie didn't. You might want to look at a Dixie Chopper supreme mowchine. it is the same size as the Exmark, 60" deck and it has the 28 hp efi Kohler engine on it and it has some features on it that Exmark doesn't. It goes 13 mph where the Exmark goes around 10 mph.

The Dixie has cooling fans on the Hydro pumps and a hydro oil cooler and Exmark has neither so the Dixie Chopper drive system will run cooler. it also has an Amsoil engine oil filter which will filter out particles that are down to 1 micron in size which is equivilent to smoke particles. The Dixie's also have fans on the spindle pulleys to keep the spindles and belts cooler so they will last longer.

3. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

From my experiences, Scag is built VERY good. Thats what i would go with IMO, they're very durable.
    Dixie choppers look like some badass machines, but i've never used one (i'd like to though) so i reallly can't say anything about them.

personally, i'd go with a scag (turf tiger).

4. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

You wont go wrong with the Exmark....with that said the Scag is a great mower too, I run both. The Exmark's are faster than the Scag's and the crew leaders fight to load the Lazer's on their truck's and that speaks volumes.

5. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

get the scag turf tiger w/ the 35hp B&S motor. It is awsome... I just purchased one about a month ago.

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Between the two you are leaning toward, Examrk / Dixie Chopper, I would definatly choose the Exmark.

7. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

I have had both of those mowers, with different engines, but I hve now gone to scag turf tigers with the 29 kaw dfi. The kawasaki's are more expensive to buy or repair, but have served me better hands down. You are on flat ground, so the mowers will probably cut about the same. Give the scag a second look. it is a better mower than the two you have listed in my mind.

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

if you want quiet try a kubota you will be surprised how quiet it is. be sure to try a kubota before you buy an exmark.

9. david

david LawnSite Member

I own an Exmark 27/60 and a Hustler 28 efi /72. Both are good machines but I would give the edge to the Hustler. I just purchased the Hustler with the same engine and deck size you are thinking of and paid $8250.

10. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The Exmark...BUT, find another dealer, or tell the dealer you are talking to to get his price right - he's a thousand too high!