Newbie insurance questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMan883, Nov 29, 2006.

1. LawnMan883

LawnMan883 LawnSite Member

Hello,
    in the past i have been cutting lawns just off the cuff for neighbors and friends, but next year I want to make it official. Apperantly if i do not plan on applying fertilizer I do not need to be state lisenced, so the only other thing i need is insurance, if i am not mistaken? Is it wise to insure my tow vehicle under my business insurance or personal insurance? The vehicle i have that I tow with is a 2001 Explorer V8 AWD. It was my daily driver from 2002-2005, but now i bought a cheap economy car to get to and from my fulltime retail (ugh) job. I get a multi-vehicle discount haveing the explorer on my personal insurance, but I didn;t know what the best way was to do it. Also i am not familiar with how to insure the business. Is most of the concern liability or the value of the equipment too? Currently my equipment list includes a 2003 model year 16x7 tandem landscape trailer, a 1996 Deere 345 rider witha 54" deck, a snowblower attachment, tow behind aerator, roller, spreader, vaccuum system, and a rototiller attachment. In addition to that I have a Honda string trimmer and an MTD leaf grinder/limb chipper. All of the equipment is in good mechanical shape and is reliable. I do have a lockbox on my trailer that I keep my trimmer in and my other supplies, and i keep the other equipment in my garage when not in use to prevent theft or weatehr damage.
    I will be running/operating the business and equipment on my own, but want to be sufficiently covered should something come up.
    I am not sure what to expect for insurance rates for this type of setup, but if anyone has any pointers or suggestions, please let me know!
    Thanks
    -Travis

2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Travis,
    my accountant recommended keeping my vehicle on my personal policy until i go full time. You should look in to liability insurance as well. who ever you chose for that should be able to offer you coverage for your other equipment at a reasonable price. I'm in the most expensive insurance state in the country so i won't go into prices.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

in ohio, you have to have commercial plates for a vehicle used for a business, and proof of insurance to get the plates, and the insurance company charges more for commercial vehicles..

dont be cheap on this one.. fines ge4t pretty steep..

on a side note, just get your license for spraying weed control... what is the sence in fertilizing the weeds....

4. LawnMan883

LawnMan883 LawnSite Member

I don;t know if michigan has the same policy on the plates, but i will check that too.

If i just don;t offer even fertilization am I screwing myself, or is that something thats pretty high in terms of liability? i just would be worried about burning up someone's lawn if i screwed up.