Newbie intro and a sharpener question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhowle, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mhowle

mhowle LawnSite Member

First let me compliment this forum and entire site. I'm a new member but long time lurker. I'm just an average homeowner that likes nice equipment and a stickler on preventive maint.

I have a 60" and 52" Commercial ZMaster and up to this point have been purchasing new OEM blades every ~20 hrs cut time for the past 2 years. I probably mow more than the average homeowner and now have quite the collection of blade sets.

Now my question:
    Is the Magna-Matic 9000 w/balancer/stand/table the set up for me to bring these blades back in service? I want something that works and works right for the long haul.

Ps.. I noticed the Mag forum has not been to active since 12/09... not that means anything... just an observation.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. EcoGreen Services

EcoGreen Services LawnSite Member

20 hours !
    Wow, that would bankrupt me, I'd be buying 2 sets a day.

We get at least 400-500 hours out of a set of blades. All blades are checked each morning & touched up every second or third day.

A spare set is always on hand for each machine.

We've always used a bench grinder with a homemade angle jig and well as the file and stone method.

3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

mhowle, I suggest you search the site, for this subject, every spring this topic gets done to death. Don't mean to be rude, or inconsiderate, just been here a while. You can get the same sharpening results with a lesco blade grinder and a nail into the wall, for balance checking.:waving:

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sorry Dave but a nail in the wall isn't going to be no where near as accurate as a bearing balancer.

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Again it starts! Sorry I pushed the button, but I also smile at the monkeys in the ape house, at the zoo!:laugh::laugh::waving:

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It starts because you gave bad advice. Nails are good for nothing except holding boards together. Break down, spend 5 dollars and buy a bearing.

[​IMG]

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

LOL...... it's ok.

8. mhowle

mhowle LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for possibly starting another sharpener war... but let me explain:

I don't trash the blades after 20 hours or so. After reading somewhere (I think this site) that most people sharpen their blades after 12-15 hrs cut time I decided to just replace blades and build up a stock pile then after I have 6 sets for each mower purchase a GOOD sharpener/balancer to bring the blades back in service. I feel with proper sharpening this "stockpile" will last me a few years without having to purchase any more plus spend a rainy afternoon sharpening and I'll have fresh spares on hand for the season.

Thanks again,
    Mike

9. Green Feet Lawn

Green Feet Lawn LawnSite Member

You have stockpiled 6 sets in a couple years. I would probably send them out to be sharpened. Sharpen 6 sets a few dollars per blade and will last another couple years. Just make sure the shop you use, sharpen and balances.

10. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the forums! I too am an obsessed homeowner and dropped the $$ last year on the 9000 service station with stand, balancer, etc... One of the best investments I've made. You will not be sorry and it will last you a lifetime. Do a search and you will have tons of information at you disposal.