Newbie Looking For a Little Help!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hilltopgrounds, Oct 9, 2005.

1. hilltopgrounds

hilltopgrounds LawnSite Member

Hey guys. My girlfriends dad mows about 20 lawns and I have been helping him and now want to branch off and start doing my own thing on my days off for now. I am a firefighter so work a lot of shift work and have a lot of days off. I already have a F250 pickup and a trailer and a few push mowers and trimmer/edger/blower and all. I figure after i get a few jobs i can save the money to buy the nice big mower and all. I am looking for the best way to advertise cheaply for the Leaf Removel season that is now apon us. Thanks for everyones help. Also since I do have another job do you think it would be worth looking for a partner to go into it with me? Thanks
    -Ryan

2. hilltopgrounds

One thing a buddy suggested is making up some flier and walking around and if i see someone outside walk up and introduce myself and give them a flier. What ya'll think?
    -Ryan

3. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Don't take a partner.

4. hilltopgrounds

Why do you say not to take a partner?

5. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

You both will never have the same ideas on which direction to take your business. Then what? You would be much better off hiring a helper, and paying him well. That way all the profit is yours.

What benefit is there in having a partner?

He owns half your business...
    He owns half your equipment...
    He owns half of your accounts...

You make half of the money...

Say you pay a guy $20 per hour to help you, he will be as loyal as a partner, but at the end of the month, you still get 100% of the profits.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Take Billz advise.... :D

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi hilltopgrounds,

I think making some flyers and getting them out there is a great idea. Let people in your area know you are in business and hand out business cards to everyone you know. Keep up the great work.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>