Newbie looking for information

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Vassk1, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Vassk1

Vassk1 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. Just starting reading this forum and find it very interesting. I currently live in Conn but am thinking about moving to Florida during the next few months.

I am toying with the idea of buying a lawn cutting business but am trying to use as much due dilligence as possible. I have a four year degree in an unrelated field but understand that pay in Florida is not very lucrative. I currently bartend but do not want to do this in Florida.

I will probably be moving with about 50-70K in liquid assets. I want to buy an established business with a decent amount of accounts already in place. I would plan on building the business up to over 100K in yearly revenue. Is this feasible? This is not net income. I figure with 100K in revenue with one helper you can still make a decent living.

I know there are other factors involved like working in the heat, little to no vacation time...blah blah blah.

Any and all info will be appreciated. Please no flames.

Also note, I am not the type to step on ones toes. I believe their are enough lawns to mow to keep everyone happy. I am also not a scrub.

Thanks.

2. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

It would help to ask specific questions.

Florida is the mecca for lawn businesses. You will do fine.

I would be weary of buying a lawn business and starting to cut before honing your skills first. You gotta have skills. Work with another company for a month or so to learn the ins and outs, how to weedwack, edge, trim, blow, save string, keep from throwing rocks, go fast while maintaining quality, ect...... all the nitty gritty physical work.

Know the properties you will be doing, then buy the mower to suit.

That's all I got for ya right now.

3. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

It sounds really good on paper.. but I don't see it to be very feasible for someone without any lawn care experience to make that kind of money with one helper in the short run ...I would think maybe after about ten years in the business you could possibly generate that kind of income..I really think you need to think hard about the decision..bartending is whole alot easier then mowin grass in florida ... but if you do decide to venture into the industry I wish you luck .. c

4. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I agree with Mr magpie.

If you've never done this work, and are going into this full-time, you may want to get a look at what you're in for. You're going to a completely different part of the country. Let someone else pay for your training. It will also allow you to learn more about the biz, and make sure you like it, before you invest big $$$'s

5. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Make Sure Theres Water In The Pool Before You Dive In .

6. Vassk1

Vassk1 LawnSite Member

Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it. To clarify, I have some experience because I worked mantainence at a golf course for a couple of summers.

The owner will train me for up to a month. I want to buy an established business where all the equipment is pretty new and included.

I think building sales to 100K would net me around 45K in my pocket with me doing most of the field work. Is this accurate?

Thanks again.

7. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

the 45k figure sounds about accurate and if you worked a few years on the golf course you may have a bit of an idea on what it's all about .. it might take you a summer to get a routine in place ..I wouldn't expect the 45k the first year very possible though by the 2nd or third year with some good advertising and bids ...c