Newbie needing advice

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by PanhandleTurf, Jul 29, 2006.

1. PanhandleTurf

PanhandleTurf LawnSite Member

I really like the Hustler line of mowers and could use some advice as to what particuliar mower to purchase. I will be mowing a church (about 4 acres) once a week, a neighborhood common area (about 5 acres) once every two weeks, and my home's yard (1/3 of an acre) once a week. This will probably last for two years max.

I want to purchase something big enough so that I'm not spending my entire weekend mowing but I also don't want something that is too big for my small yard.

I also want something that's going to last. I had budgeted around $4k but could pay more if the machine lasts me a good long while. I forget what my dealer said prices were since we looked at so many models.

Could somebody give an estimate on the different Hustler model prices? I know they'll very, but I don't want my local dealer to rip me off. I know nothing about lawn mowers. Do I need a commercial grade or residential?

I'd appreciate any advice.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You are right on the border of needing a commercial unit, you could go with the FasTrak with this amount of mowing.
    You can get into a 20/52 FasTrak for about $5,000.00 or so.... check it out....
    Now... if you want to get into a full commercial unit for about $1,000.00 more, look at a 19/52 Mini Z.
    Both will get the job done quick.

3. PanhandleTurf

Thank you for your response. I was also considering the cheaper 18/42 mini Z just for the fact it was in my budget AND commercial grade. Do you think the extra time it would take me to mow vs the quality of the mower would make it worth getting the Mini Z? I think I may be able to better justify spending 4 or 5k on a mower if I were to get something that will last ten years vs five or fewer years.

By the way, I realize that there are a few threads similar to mine, so I appreciate the feedback for my specific situation.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I certainly think the 19/42 Mini Z would be a great choice for your situation, and I would choose it for what your mowing over the FasTrak and as you stated, you are getting a full commercial unit.

Pj

5. PanhandleTurf

Perfect. I'll probably head back down to the dealer this weekend to seal the deal. The two hours a week in my yart with the murray 18in push mower are numbered!