Newbie Needing HELP!

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Pray-Hard, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Pray-Hard

Pray-Hard LawnSite Member

I just got a Meyer 7.5' plow put on my Chevy 3500 pickup. I have a couple of guys willing to pay me by the hour to pickup some jobs they can't get to and plan to solicit my own work and get my own accounts. BUT I can't find a place to insure me. No one wants to touch a policy involving a plow. They all take off screaming with there hands in the air.
    If anyone can give me some Co. and expected yearly cost it would be greatly appreciated.

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Your state will have alot to do with it.
    Where are you from ??

3. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

ah great question, I have been looking on the net (haven't gone to anyones in person yet) to figure out what my costs for the business will be, and none will give me even a qoute, partly because of age, and partly because of plow.

I live in washington, and since I will be living in a small town with very little crime, I can't image the big risk.

need help myself!

thanks

[Edited by cowboy on 11-28-2000 at 11:09 PM]

4. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I use Nationwide Mutual, my agent does amost strictly commericial policies, including some very large snowplowing contractors. Depending on of age of truck(with or without collision) I belive my cost for 87 F350 wo collision was $800-900 year, for basic, and about double for my 99 chevy K3500 when new (99) again these are aproximate, and I belive that was for 300 or 500K of coverage liability, and 50 K property damage. These do not reflect my general bus policy.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have plow insurance in addition to regular policy,900 a yr on 3 plow trucks+ mowers and mower liability--1 mill coverage.That is thru State Farm in NY,but Ive got a perfect driving record,no accidents or tickets,no claims ever.

6. AK Snow

AK Snow LawnSite Member

In Alaska where rates run a little high, State Farm is charging me about $1000 a year for 1 million in liability insurance and full coverage on $30,000 worth of equipment. For what its worth, I'd never do work on someone else's property without liability insurance - too many people are way too anxious to sue for the slightest reason.

Alaska Dave

7. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

John & AK Snow, are these prices for commercial auto, or business policies

8. AK Snow

AK Snow LawnSite Member

Michael,

Good point! For me thats a business policy.

Alaska Dave

9. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm paying about $100/month for auto & plowing insurance, and then another $300 per year for business liability. That's through American Family.

-Tim

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Did anyone realize that he is putting a 7.5 Meyer on a 3500? I hope that this is a Single Rear Wheel 3500 and not a DRW. Meyer 7.5's are a very weak plow and aren't wide enough for a SRW let alone a DRW. Go with a C-8.5 with the 4 trip springs. They are built way better than the ST-90's.

Also, insurance wise, just get a commercial liability policy with the same company that carries your auto policies and tell them that you will be doing "some light plowing" . Mine just told me to stay away from McD's and 7-11's and he'll be happy.