Newbie needs advice on trimmer.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by monkeygrass, May 24, 2008.

1. monkeygrass

monkeygrass LawnSite Member

hello from new orleans

I have a 50 x 360 lot with two buildings on it. basic rectangle lot with one house in the front and one house in the back. standard 1400 foot house in the front with a well kept lawn. the back 50x180 is another story. the rear of the lot is SEVERELY overgrown (lots of thick weeds and lots of berry vine) and i need some suggestions on a trimmer. In addition to this lot, I need to maintain 2 other properties and each one of those yards is 50x50. inner city kinda places.

so i found a stihl fs 85 r on craigslist for $225, and the guy is saying its a year old. sound good? any other ideas? $200 echo from home depot? my neighbor said shindaiwa is great. I think my budget is $300, but i need something to last me a few years.

thanks guys and gals.

2. monkeygrass

monkeygrass LawnSite Member

oh. i wouldn't mind if y'all even listed some model numbers for me.

thanks again.

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Stihl are good machines and have never given me a problem

4. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

For 300 bucks you can get a stihl fs90r that will last and you can mount a brush blade and other blades to it so that you can cut through the heavy stuff. I really like my 90r i cut 70 yards per week solo and this season is the third season i have had mine not a bit of trouble till yesterday when the throttle cable broke. Thats just something that happens but that trimmer as been well used and it keeps on going. It still runs great to this day. That would be my pick for a trimmer for 300 bucks its some pretty good power but i only run stihl. Look at echo from a dealer im sure they have a comparable model hold them and pick which one you like the best for throttle and comfort after all you are the one that is going to have to use it

5. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Kawasaki Kgt27a They Are On Ebay Brand New From 229 I Believe

6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

What ever you do DON'T buy your lawn equipment from Home Depot! Buy from an Echo dealer if you want Echo, it will cost the same and won't have HD numbers on it so when it needs fixed it won't go to the bottom of the pile.

Personally, if I had $300 to spend on a new trimmer, I would have a new Shindawia T242 or bigger on my trailer.

If I could not get the Shindi, it would be the Stihl FS 90 or FS 110 for sure with the Shindi speed feed head.

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

never had a problem from my 6 year old stihl. and its been used and abused, by my guys and mother nature. get a straight shaft too, a curve will wear you out and be a pain to use.

8. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

Echo 210 or bigger are great. stay away from 4 stoke's im my opinion they use more fuel. I have a echo 210 would like a bigger cc echo for thicker stuff.
    Stihl are ok a lot of guys like them but I have worked with the 4 strokes and regs and am not a big fan I like echo better. I would stay away from used when spending that amount just go new and get all the good things waranty and all that go with it when you buy it.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Even though pricy, the Echo PAS-260 works great for me. It has all the attachments, trimmer, brushcutter, power pruner, hedge trimmer, etc. I got my power unit for around $300 and the trimmer shaft for $100. Still saving up for the rest.

10. deere-man

deere-man LawnSite Member

Stihl! All The Way.