Newbie needs help with small wall...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by green_thumb, Apr 10, 2008.

1. green_thumb

green_thumb LawnSite Member

I'm starting to do some small retaining wall work and am not sure what to charge. This cust. wants the rest of this old wall ripped out and a bigger garden terrace that comes out about 12' from the tree to the stick in the ground. Then turn left and curve around about 30' to the corner of the house. She wants to reuse the stone thats there to save cost. Since theres not enough stone there I figure that at least one pallet of flagstone will be needed. ( 1 pallet equals 30' x 1' x 1' ?? ) I was quoted 235$ for the pallet. I want the wall to be at least 2' tall. Would it be ok to dry stack this or do i need mortar between the stones? What type of base should I use, concrete or stone dust? Should i back fill with stone then soil? At least 12 inches of soil will be needed for fill. Thanks, any ideas on what to charge will help. Heres some links to pics...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/cldub77/DSC02973.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/cldub77/DSC02974.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/cldub77/DSC02975.jpg

2. green_thumb

3. Meezer

Meezer LawnSite Senior Member

You started the job & are not sure what to charge??? Then you must not have a written contract with the customer which can be a real problem or is this T & M????

4. green_thumb

Thats not my work... The customer started the project and realized he wasnt up for the challenge. He just wants a quote on rebuilding the new wall. I havent done anything yet...

5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

if it was me it would either run right up to the building or all the way along the back of thou house. its gonna be a pain to trim and mow over there. i guess you dont care if its just the wall your doing. and is it gonna be straight out from the wall?? thats left cause a big flat wall there is going to look stupid. Jmo well one pallets 325 so that plus new dirt and cut that sod out and tamp the base for the wall mortar will make it last longer or glue

6. KGR landscapeing

and theres a bunch of other things that i would need to do or beable to do just to make that look nice befor i would beable to except it.

7. green_thumb

Thanks KGR. I think your right about that looking a little funny. They want it like a half moon shape from that stick around to the corner of the house, then backfilled with soil for a veggie garden. I dont have much exp. with flagstone. Should I use mortar and sandwich between the stones as I build up? Also, what do you think about using concrete instead of stone dust as a base?

8. KGR landscapeing

thin layers of concrete break well here they do because we go threw a million freeze and thaw cycles a season. mortar would make it last along time but you dont wanna make the front of of the wall flat you want it to look like the stones are just stackd

9. green_thumb

Thanks alot for the info...