Newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Recka81, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Recka81

Recka81 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, new to the forum and landscaping in general. Was hoping you guys could shed some light on some things for me.
    Recently purchased a property with a huge back yard, however, 2/3 of the yard (about 20ftx200ft) is overgrown with honeysuckle and other various invasive trees/plants. There is NO grass anymore whatsoever, only dirt/mud. I need suggestions on the best way to remove and kill the honeysuckle and be able to plant and grow grass (hopefully this season). I've been told several things: to cut them down with a chain saw and then use a tiller to chop up the roots, also been told to use a truck to pull them out, told to use pestisides, etc etc. I really don't know what to do and want to save as much money as possible (so using sod is out). Any advice would be greatly appreciated on the best method of removing this huge amount of LARGE honeysuckle trees and being able to grow grass afterwards.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. Fox Lawn & Garden

Fox Lawn & Garden LawnSite Member

If the stems aren't too thick, I think you could run a mower over them. If them stems are too thick, try using hedge trimmers. I think a chainsaw might be over-kill, and perhaps difficult because of the flexing stems.
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Fence in some goats, they'll eat the honysuckle, and fertilize the grass-only 1 moving part!
  4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Most equipment rental places have a walk behind bush hog type of mower - self propelled and will cut even small saplings. You could mow the stuff down in less than a half day rental. Wait until new growth emerges , then spray with 2% glyphosphate - Roundup Pro has a surfactant that helps the herbicide stay on the surface of the leaf. Once the undesirable plants are gone , then you can prep the soil and seed. I know you mentioned money being an issue , but a sprinkler system would really enhance the potential for a nice lawn.
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

There's a product that homeowners can buy called "Crossbow" which will wipe out everything. Roundup is good but for saplings and other woody plants--it ain't got a chance. Roundup is great for grassy stuff with a high water content in the stems and roots but you need something like "Crossbow" This stuff takes a while to work, usually a wilt in a couple of days then browning and drying up of the leaves--just to appraise you in case you decide to use it. It's not too expensive--about $70/gal. You'll have to go to a feed store or professional supply house to find it. You could bush hog it and burn the stuff as this time of year UP THERE the honey suckle is probably still a little domant. Think about the equipment rental, but in case you're looking at about several hundred dollars. You might try to get an esimate from a pro after considering the cost of YOU having to buy/rent the equipment. Yea, goats--best idea yet if time is not a factor. Get a female--male goats stink.