Newbie Needs Info On What Equipment To Start With

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JTM, Mar 13, 2006.

1. JTM

JTM LawnSite Member

I would like to get info on whats some of the ideal setups as far as mowers,trimmers,blowers the total package what to look for and what
    brands to start with. For example do i need a walk-behind or a zero turn mower any help would be appreciated thanks....

2. firehoyt

firehoyt LawnSite Member
    from Bham AL

Well it depends on your market. If youre going to be doing alot of big commercial accounts and you have the money to put toward it, buy a Z. But if youre just getting started with residential and you dont have alot of $ to invest. Start with a mid-size (36", 34", 32") and a 21". Get a decent blower, trimmer, edger, and youre ready to go!

3. JTM

JTM LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.I want to mainly stick with residential for now until i learn more of the business.Do you think the a homeowner zero turn mower would do ok until i build up the income to buy a nicer commercial mower
    thanks

4. firehoyt

firehoyt LawnSite Member
    from Bham AL

Well, I guess that depends. I'm assuming you already have the homeowner Z for personal use? If you do, then of course, use it!!! It will get you started. Better do use it awhile, save the money you make and invest in commercial equipment rather than start work in debt!

5. JTM

JTM LawnSite Member

OK thats what im trying to do is stay of alot the debt picture
    i really appreciate the adviced i need all of it i can get

6. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should look for a good used walk behind. Should have no problem find ing one reasonably and it will keep you out of debt. Not to mention it will hold a lot longer than the HO mower.