Newbie needs some help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kc2006, Apr 20, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi all, I'm 18 and am getting into starting my own business. I've worked for other people for the past 3 years and theres just not enough money doing it that way and I want to set a good future for myself with this business.

I have found a exmark metro walk behind pretty cheap and have a truck and trailer already and I am going to purchase a trimmer and blower in the next few days. I have 3 residential accounts already lined up and until I get the exmark I'm just cutting it with a 23" push mower. Question is what is (in your experience) the best way to get accounts? I'm going to be passing around flyers at houses but I think that it would be best if i talk to the people also. This looks like a great site so far and i hope to gain some knowledge from it, thanks! :)

2. 94chevytruck

94chevytruck LawnSite Member

Hey, where in ohio are you working? I am in powell myself...just north of columbus. What you are doing is a great way to get customers, talk to them and pass out flyers, that what I do! i am working my way up to 25 while going to OSU full time!!! I am also thinking about buying a ne turf tracer hp along with a trailer. I have a metro 36" now!! Good luck!

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Once you get established a little bit more word of mouth will be your best friend!!

4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely word of mouth. When I first started word of mouth got me a good majority of my business. Now it gets me jobs all the time. Once people see that you are going to do a good job, and get the job done right they will be willing to pay a little more for your services.
    Fliers are a good way to go. Newspaper ads are too. Those will probably be the most cost efficient for you right now.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I went and had door hangers made today, they were 14 cents per page and theres 3 on a page so I bought 500 sheets. Hopefully these will bring in 10 people.

I figure I'm going to try and talk to some of the people because I think theres better odds of bringing older customers in if you talk with them. Just my opinion, but what do you guys think about talking with people while passing the flyers out?

6. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

hope you are right. i am looking at this too. i priced a delivery company here that does 5k fliers for .10/flyer. based on what i have read i would expect a %.2 (yea ".") return. but that is 10 to start with and then go from there. 10*~25/wk will pay for it in a month (including one times or biweekly's). i hope! a friends father-in-law has been doing this 6yrs and has never advertised. just word of mouth. he is doing extremely well. he focuses on quality. no question that is where it is at. i see many small and medium crews around and it can be imtimidating but you just have to believe you can do it and do your best!

good luck

7. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will get more customers if you stop and talk to them but it will take you longer to stop and talk to each person. Maybe you should try it both ways and see how you do. Most of my customers are not older people, but people who are pretty busy. It stands to reason that a busy person may not respond well to having to stop and talk to you, and they may not be home very often either. Then again, people have told me you should stop and talk to people, so you might try it and see how it works.

8. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

so LM03, how many yards per hr can your 2 cows cut? lol

9. bcmjr3574

bcmjr3574 LawnSite Member

I agree with everyone else word of mouth is the cheapest, and best advertising there is. I'm in my second year, and just by word of mouth I doubled my accounts from 7 to 14 in one year. Last month I paid a kid that I know to pass out 150 of the 500 door hangers I had printed. I landed a one time deal that paid almost double what I paid for the door hangers, and 1 account where I cut yard 3 times a month @ $35. Good Luck!!!

10. malliso

malliso LawnSite Member

so far all of my business has come from newspaper ads ,no luck with fliers