Newbie - patio help!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lccmo, Dec 31, 2007.

1. lccmo

lccmo LawnSite Member
    from mo

I am in the process of building a new house and would like to make my walkout basment patio our of pavers and a short retaining wall.

Size - 25x60x25 by 2.5-3 tall

Thoughts:
    I am thinking the retaining wall would need to be about 2.5-3 foot tall then the pavers would make the patio portion. I would like to build steps into the wall too

Questions:
    - What is the best products to make the retaining walls out of (seems like versa-loc is faily popular)
    - on the pavers what is the best way to lay them - can I fill the entire patio with gravel as I would a concret pour or will this bit me in the future?
    - how do you normally run your 4" drain pipe. under the 6" compacted base footings?
    - for a wall like this is it better to poor concret for the base footings?\

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire a contractor - you have no clue. *trucewhiteflag*

3. lccmo

lccmo LawnSite Member
    from mo

:D thx for the info..

4. csl

csl LawnSite Member

i agree, you need to hire a contractor for the simple reason that it WILL save you money. we have many people every year who ask for an estimate, attempt the job themselves, then call us back to uninstall and reinstall the project. ends up costing the homeowner lots of time and especially money. leave it to the pros and good luck.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Hire a contractor.

The best product to make a retaining wall out of is concrete. Also the most expensive and may not be the best system for your house/budget.

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

the others could have put it more tackfully, but their advise is correct. that is a complicated build that should not be tackled by someone with little or no exspericane in hardscaping or concstrution.

an old adage that applies here "pay good money for something, you cry once, when you pay for it. pay as little as possibe for something and you cry forever."

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

You charge more for concrete than natural stone? Seems backwards natural stone is much more expensive.

8. PatriotLandscape

from MA

Do not attempt this project. You do not know enough to build the wall or patio.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Concrete = Concrete wall veneered with natural stone

10. PatriotLandscape

from MA

Oh. Here Concrete is the same as SRW. Veneers are just natural stone.