Newbie Paver Installer Update

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Alan, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Alan

Alan Member

A ouple months ago I posted questions from a new installer. Since then I have done the job. The size got cut down a bit, ended up being about 180 sf. First time out with any sizeable paver project and this one was curved and done in random tumbled pavers from Techo-Bloc out of Montreal, PQ.

The pic is the project after it was sanded but before I had done the topsoil along the edges. There's a couple crossroads in there in spite of my best eforts to eliminate them. The curves are freeform to the customers liking and I cut the blocks after install to put in the soldier course.

Critiques please!

And thank you to everyone who shared information about the procedures involved.

View attachment ekiert walk.jpg

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice job from here!

From the picture at least, the cuts look nice and tight, the curve flows around with out any 'boggles', and the use of paver restraint shows you did the job right.

I'd give yourself a good pat on the back.

steve

3. Alan

Alan Member

Got a question though, should have put it in the original post. For you folks with a track record with pavers, which do you consider easier to work with, interlocks or randoms?

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

in general, any repitious pattern is easier than a more random pattern. I assume that is what you are meaning.

You usually get less intricate cuts with less intricate patterns, don't have to 'think' as much when laying, and don't have to worry about the ordering process.

For brands like tech, most of their pavers are sold in 'random' skids where you don't have to worry about the quantity of each size as much.

With some other brands, you have to order each size and then make sure you are laying the correct % of each piece during install.

Pretty easy to be short of one size and then have extra of another if you aren't careful.

steve

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Alan -

It looks like you did a great job on the base - looks nice and level, and that's the most important part.

One of the hard parts about asking for critiques is you can sometimes get more than you want...

That being said, the curve on the right side of the pic close to the drive looks to be a slight bit wobbly. It could be the picture itself, I'm not sure. If it is the brick and not the pic, one way to make that come out smoother in the future is to use 1/2" PVC. Lay pavers beyond where the edge of the walk will meet the soldier course, then lay the PVC on top of the brick, using bricks along the sides to hold the PVC in the curves you want. Once you get it the way you like it, mark it with chalk or welder's chalk or whatever you use. Then buzz those cuts and >>voila<<. Perfect.

As for which I like better, it depends on the situation. But I will say this - it takes longer to lay a random pattern than a pattern, because I'm always having to double check and make sure I'm not creating long seams, making a 'pattern' instead of being random.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Can you explain what these are? Thanks.

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

But I'm a little more than an ocean away! ;)

You have to be worried about the customer being happy with it, not me!! ;)

Anyway, what kind of restraints did you use??

Stonehenge is right about that trick for the curves, we use a stiff garden hose.

Good Job man!

8. Alan

Alan Member

Gogetter,

It was explained to me by my supplier that a "crossroad" was where four block come together, making a + in the joint. Generally to be avoided. There is one just off the bottom left corner of the picture, two joints in and two out from the porch post. A second one is about 4-5 joints out from the porch near the edge. Luckily neither one has a long run leading to it so they don't show too bad.

As for too much critique, I'm pretty think skinned and probably too fussy for my own good. I'd rather have things picked apart in review so I can avoid mistakes in the future.

9. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I wouldn't worry about your 'crossroads' - the only thing it might affect is the aesthetics, and even then, well, the odds are that'd happen randomly anyway, right?

And if you think about a basket weave pattern, that's all there is (almost), seams between four brick meeting, looking like a '+'. So for structural integrity, you have nothing to worry about. I think that's more a taste issue than anything.

And Guido's right. The only one you really have to worry about is the customer.

One of the things I see most often in rookie paver installers (and there seem to be a lot around my area), is poor base installation (which you appear to have done a good job on), and funky curves. Curves that either are 'wobbly' or that don't have the right arc to them, meet up to other parts of a patio in a funny spot, or are just in general just not smooth flowing lines.
    It looks like you have the first part down. Nail the second part and you're there.

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Alan

I think that the walk looks quite nice considering it was your first install. Nice Job!!! I too have seen many installs around our area this season that just didnt have that professional touch to them.

I witnessed the crew at the neighbors down the road working today on installing a timber wall and the funniest thing came to my mind when I heard their foreman bragging about how far ahead of schedule they were to the bossman --- wooden walls are supposed to have deadmen installed during the construction process. :eek: Figure this wall should last about .... O - I dont know .... two seasons on the outside.

Kris