Newbie Question and Advise

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TopCuts, Feb 3, 2007.

1. TopCuts

TopCuts LawnSite Member

Just looking for any advice that anyone can offer. I have decided to start up my own business. With research I have figured that I can get everything I need for about $6200. This includes about $1000 for door hangers and business cards. I plan on putting out the hangers starting in the next couple of weeks. The equipment I am looking at is a 36" Hustler Hydro walk behind with a double wheel sulky, another Echo trimmer, Echo stick edger, and an Echo backpack blower, the Echo stuff will be under $1000. I already have a truck and trailer. Also, within a 5 mile radius around my house is anywhere between 3000 - 5000 houses mostly with privacy fences on lots from 1/3 to 3/4 of an acre. I'm also looking into getting my pesticide license to apply fertilizer and other treatment. I'm thinking of charging between $45-$70 depending on the yard. The only other cost should be for insurance which I am trying to find out about now. Any advise on anything that I haven't thought about would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I am worried about is the amount of other lco's in the area.

2. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you got yourself a business. Dont forget about lettering your truck.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds good and should get you started.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So have you done an investigation concerning whether your prices you intend to charge are reasonable? I would do that before putting up $6K if you know there is a lot of competition....

5. TopCuts

TopCuts LawnSite Member

Thanks ed for the advice. Thinking of spending the money for advertisement first to see how many accounts I can get before I spend any serious money.

6. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Try to set a monthly rate If possible.Lets say you charge 40 a cut,but If they go monthly you give 5 bucks off a cut.This works well In the south because we can get 52 weeks a year as long as you MAINTAIN the place for 52 weeks.

7. TopCuts

TopCuts LawnSite Member

Thanks Ck I'm hoping to go ahead and get some seasonal accounts so I know that I at least have some money coming in consistently.