newbie question on terminology

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike mc, Feb 3, 2004.

1. mike mc

mike mc LawnSite Member

i'm a homeowner and i've been reading this forum trying to learn as much as i can about equipment and what might work for me. i 've read many threads that talk about "scalping" in the spring and i'm wondering what this means. i've read many posts from walker owners who talk about uising their equipment to do this. can someone explain this to me? thanks.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You scalp warm season grasses. I doubt that would be of any interest to you up north.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Take it from a fellow Joysee guy that scalping your lawn is the very last thing you want to do.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Its running the deck almost to the ground. Like an ince or so.
    John

5. mike mc

mike mc LawnSite Member

thanks guys- i think i'm cut at about 3-3.5 inches. just out of curiousity- why do you do it on warm season grasses?

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The warm season grasses like bermuda and zoysia go dormant. The top growth is completely brown and dead. The roots are very much alive. They put out new growth in the spring. So to get the old stuff gone, we cut it down.

7. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Oh, you can scalp in the North as well. It happens when a wheel inadvertantly compromises the height of the blade resulting in cutting the turf below the normal cut line. ie. the wheel drops in a hole and the blade than goes to low. Of course you can choose to scalp and mow it real low at the beginning of the season to cut out all sorts of bad stuff and even out the lawn. I guess thats not bad.

8. mike mc

mike mc LawnSite Member

thanks guys. my education continues...

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I do a short mow every spring on cool season grass just before before coming out of dormancy. Makes for the greenest lawn on the street by April one.

10. gammermann

gammermann LawnSite Member

If scalp warm season grasses as many do you do remove the dead leaf tips, but you also open up the soil to more light whereby you increae the chance of dormant weed seeds sprouting. If you are in to chemical weed treatment this may be good, but I find that I keep my lawns with fewer weeds by cutting at the recommended height, especially St. Augustine, the most shade tolerant southern grass.