newbie question -type of blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fine Lines, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Fine Lines

Fine Lines LawnSite Member

New to the business,2nd year.My question is what type of blade to run with this lush spring grass with the typical dandelions.Cuts great except for the dandelions,some get left as straglers causing me to have to go back over.Am slowing down but doesn't seem to help.
    Running high lifts now,assuming this is my problem? Thanks in advance. Like this website,lot of info!

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

are your blades sharp?

3. Fine Lines

Ya new blades from express mower,but I have not sharpened the to the middle of the blade like I've heard some people mention on here.
    Is that a good idea,sharpen the length of the blade?

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

every new blade ive bought i had to sharpen before i put them on. as for shapening the whole blade that is not necessary just make sure the bevel has a sharp edge on it. in the spring thy get sharpened every day. i have 3 sets for each mower so i just switch them out and sharpen when i get a chance.

5. Fine Lines

Thanks for the info guys,been about a week or so since they were installed and looked sharp to me but maybe not.
    When sharpening,what is the best way and keep the blade in balance? Not really sure how to check balance either.
    I usually sharpen with a disk grinder,I don't want too sharp of an edge correct? Otherwise I've heard they won't hold an edge....?

6. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Clark,

Why do you sharpen new blades? Is that why you buy them, so you don't have to sharpen the ones you have. Just asking, cause I never do that,and didn't't know you had to...

7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

More often than not, "new" blades just aren't sharp enough for my likeing. :usflag: