Newbie Question???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Outdoor Creations, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Outdoor Creations

Outdoor Creations LawnSite Member

Hello all, was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on how I should go into the irrigation business. I have owned a lawn and landscaping business for manyyears now and I am finding that I have been doing alot more sprinkler fixes than the norm. It only makes sense to try it out. Any pointers or advise on how I should start or what to get would be a great help.

Thanks alot!
    Zach

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Kind of like going into the brain surgery business - find a willing patient, and have at it! ;)

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

There are one or two that I still look the other way when I drive by. You learn by doing
    it....yass, the courses are fine, the reps are helpfull (with their product), but the bottom
    line is research, ask questions....it's not brain surgery, after all.:dizzy:

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Get some good reference books too.
    Best troubleshooting book I've run across is by Bill Derryberry, called "Troubleshooting Irrigation Control Systems".

I've had a copy of an older version for something like 15 years, but I got the newer, spiffier, spiral bound edition a year or two ago through the use of my Hunter points.

Google "Bill Derryberry" or Derryberry Irrigation Consulting, Inc.
    Last address I have for him is in Scottsdale AZ.

Other useful irrigation books on my shelf include:
    "Basic Landscape Irrigation" by N. Warren Johnson

"Simpified irrigation Design" by Pete Melby

"Landscape irrigation Design Manual" from Rain Bird

"Turf Irrigation Manual" by James Watkins

"Mimimum Standards For Landscape Irrigation" from the American Society Of Irrigation Consultants​

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The Choates book that Weather-Matic hocks is good too, when
    you're getting started...research, research...ask us.
    Dumb questions will get you the jackals, tho.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Always look for more efficient ways to do the same job.

7. Get a remote (RainMaster is the best) and make all your customers remote ready.:)

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I thought the Kiril method was to landscape with rocks, and irrigate nothing.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Brown is beautiful. :dancing: Big rocks are great, rock as mulch....boooooo :hammerhead:

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Get ahold of your brother and tell him to integrate that sucker into the controller box and he might have a deal.