1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BlueDog Ram, Feb 22, 2008.

1. BlueDog Ram

BlueDog Ram LawnSite Member

Hey guys, first post.. but Ive been reading on the site for awhile. Seems like you guys are very informative! Anyway, I'm debating jumping into the lawncare business this summer and had a few questions for ya..

1) Is it too late to send out flyers to get accounts? Im looking for about 40 residential only..
    2) Is it wrong to just want to do the cutting/edging this year? Im not so familiar with the chemicals yet and don't want to screw anything up..
    3) Would you recomend buying commercial grade stuff right away or would my residential stuff be good until I can save for the commercial stuff..?

Thank you guys in advance!
  2. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

1.Blue Dog it is never too late to send out flyers. In this type of business your always advertising and your always offering your services to anyone at anytime.
    2.No its not wrong to just mow and blow. If your not familiar with the fertilizing and herbicides then i wouldn't bother trying until u understand them. There are lots of factors when it comes to spraying if ur not careful u can really mess up the lawn and burn it.
    3. As far as buying commercial grade equipment then, it all depends on how many accounts you have whether they are 3/4acre properties or small residentials?? It all depends if you only have small accounts and you can get by with the homeowner stuff then stick with that until you get more accounts. I will say you get what you pay for though. Hope that helps you out and good luck.
  3. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Not too late for flyers; if anything might be a little early. Most people especially in midwest are still dealing with WINTER. Give it a couple of weeks and then plaster the area you want to cover. You can start our with residential equipment but if you indeed get your 40+ accounts, you'll quickly see that you need heavier duty equipment. Nothing wrong with mow and blow, we all started out the same way.
    Good luck
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Start your seasonal advertising the first of March like newspaper, flyers and doorhangers. I run an ad in the local paper starting March 1st and run till April 1st and start putting out doorhangers the first of March. Some choose to wait until April but to me thats when the work begins and most have already signed up with the company they want.
  5. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Never to late!!! Go ahead and put them out. Make sure they are small but catchy. You can get a small used walkbehind for a good price and take care of many properties. Good luck with it all and make sure you keep your prices up dont be a lowballer!

Lawn sharks did you design the site you have your self? I have one through officelive also yours looks good
  6. BlueDog Ram

Thanks for the info guys! I'll prolly wait a few weeks to send the flyers out and see what happens. It'll prolly be a few weeks anyway before I can get set up as a llc so yeah.

As for being a lowballer, Im going to call a few places around here or talk to my neighbors who get their grass cut and see what they get charged. I was thinking of starting at $30/cut (most lots around here are 1/2 acre maybe a little bigger, maybe a little smaller) and going up from there. If I find out that they're getting more per cut I will adjust accordingly. I just don't want to charge as much as the guys who've been doing this for years ya'know?

I don't know if you guys were the same way, but man.. I am excited! :drinkup:
  7. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Yes you do. Just focus on what you are good at and what you have the equipment/skills for and do a good job.

ATLOWNER LawnSite Member

In my experience, you must be very careful not to buy to much to soon.
    When I started 6 yrs. ago I only had a residential J.D. and a multi-changable trimmer and a electric blower and a small truck. I started small, my prices where normal (more than $30.00 for 3/4 acre), but I gained more contracts and more areas of town, now I have several trucks, trailers, employees and many contracts. I started by pricing my labor based on time that it would take to complete the job and what I made at a previous employer. Remember slow and do not price yourself at the lowest, it is hard to change your image when you are cheap. Hope this helps.
  9. BlueDog Ram

True on the changin prices thing.. very good point. Dunno if you guys say my other thread about insurance, but man is it expensive! Do you think I could get away with no insurance for this first year?
  10. Hoss315er

Hoss315er LawnSite Member
    from NY

Sure you can get away with it...just don't have one single accident. If something unfortunate did happen...just settle with you personal savings account, house, and worldly possessions.