Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jerseynick, May 15, 2008.

1. jerseynick

jerseynick LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. Im new to the whole lawn care/mowing business thing. I am thinking about starting my own "business". Im looking to buy a basic commercial mower (walk behind), as well as all the basic tools (blowers, trimmers, etc). My question is what is a good commercial mower that wont run me too much paper? It doesnt have to very big, as I am planning to stay residential and maybe smaller commercial properties.
    Thanks

2. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 36" Scag, Toro, Wright if you want something smaller go with a TORO, HONDA, or SNAPPER.

As far as blowers weed eaters and things. I suggest sthil or echo.
    Handheld just get stuff that doesnt have wooden handels.

3. mowtivated lawn Care

mowtivated lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Make sure if alot of your lots have fences to get a good push mower and nothing bigger then a 36'' walk behind because you have to get in through the gates. If you think you are going to get bigger and stay in the business it will be best to spend a little more and buy nice stuff versus cheap things that will be a headache in the long run.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

ditto for me.i wouldn't even get a 36" until i got an account that requires one.you can buy them in a day.