1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mdean_74, Jul 23, 2013.

1. mdean_74

mdean_74 LawnSite Member

I am sole proprietor of my new lawn care business. I will soon be venturing out and trying to get new customers.

Since I am brand new I will be using my YT4000 Craftsman 46" riding lawn mower until I can build my customer base up and get a zero turn.

I have a question concerning the best possible set up for this mower. I installed a mulching kit (including plug) on the mower and have used this in my yard since day one. The clippings that were left over were very small.

Due to a friend that is also in the business telling me it was better to use the discharge option so I can mow faster, I took out the plug and put the safety shoot back on. I noticed this method caused more and bigger grass clippings. Note I did leave the mulching blades on.

1. Should I change the blades back out to the normal cutting blades and will this fix the problem?

2. Since I am marketing residential (normal) yards should I just go ahead and mulch to prevent any customers from being dissatisfied with the finished product?

My goal is to effectively provide quality service in a timely manner and without creating any unnecessary (added) work. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am located in Huntsville, Texas

Thanks,

Mike G

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch kits are great for dry summers but in the spring when you have a lot of heavy growth every week side discharge is the way to go

3. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just a suggestion. Buy a used zero turn. It will allow you to cut much more lawns and will save you a lot of time. In the long run it is worth it. A commercial machine will go through growth much easier than a Home Depot rider.

4. mdean_74

mdean_74 LawnSite Member

Thank you for the reply.

Any advice on reducing the size and quantity of the yard clippings?

I really do not want to rake or buy a bagger attachment just yet.

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can afford a used 0 turn a walk behind is an option too.

6. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch kit is great if there isn't a lot of growth. I would go side discharge with a block plate you can move up and down.

As for the tall clippings,
    Don't take as much off